Skip to main content

Covid19 Journal Entry 5


March 26, 2020
Driving West again, my return to Iowa on the Mississippi River and my students.

Today’s Image - 96.5 degrees F. - that is my temperature today.  I am asymptomatic, feeling fine. Like millions of others, I search myself for telltale body sensations, ones I’ve read about and heard of - a scratchy throat grabs my attention, a cough after eating a dry snack without a washdown raises my heart rate for a moment.  I’ve been unable to stop touching my face - nose itches and I must scratch it, saliva pools at the corners of my mouth, sometimes drips down a fine crease off my lips if I am extra juicy and I have to wipe it away; sometimes an eye waters for no good reason and needs dabbing too. I am prone to rest my cheek bone or chin on my palm or thumb when listening at a table. The vectors of transmission grow long and unkind. Sure, as I get more aware of my interminable face handling tendencies, I compensate by chronically cleaning my hands, even using my wrist in a sleeve to relieve such simple and lifelong urges, turned menacing.  It they take me down, I supposed they will take me down.  Still, spending this part of my shelter in place days in the Appalachian woods and rural town settings has given me a gift - mindful refuge from the hysteria storm beyond me.  I have held witness to the accounts from hot zones worldwide, feeling as if I am standing on the shore of a brown turbid spring river watching the danger flow by and  realizing I could soon be entering the heat myself.  Who knows if it will be as victim or volunteer?

Today’s idea - Here is an extraordinarily teachable cascade of moments.  What an extraordinarily fortunate time to be a teacher!

Today’s observation - I have returned to the Nolichucky Gorge Campground community in Tennessee to spend one more night and morning with my son. Before I pull in to his space, I indulge myself stopping at the park picnic park and boat launching site beside the Nolichucky River to write and just watch it roll by.  It has a vigor that echoes all around me in the vibrancy of the blossoming trees, the fat green pillows of moss carpeting rocks and dead fall; in the robin, sparrow and Rufus-sided towhee cacophony overhead; in the chorus of spring peppers behind me. A kayaker has just paddled up to the takeout and pulled his boat from the river; passing me we exchange greetings, and my Westie yips for recognition too out the back window, as he stops with his gear at the maroon Ford Econoline van beside us.  There are kids climbing across a line of boulders, who pause to watch him load his vintage blue Perception onto the racks and tie it down. They are barefoot and shorts clad, it’s 5:30 on a Thursday evening.  The feel of vacation days from school rolls out of their chatter as they leaf frog each other across this sunny afternoon, reminding me it’s best to simply live in the moment too.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Covid19 Journey Day 27

April 17, 2020 Today’s celebration – Last May I attended the annual school fundraising gala.   Browsing the items on the silent auction tables, I found nothing that that stirred my avarice, so I took another tack and decided to find things that I could have fun with or devise pleasure from, as a way to justify some necessary opening bids.   There was an impressive box of chocolate bars with a couple bottles of red on which I entered the first bid, and I paused at a wooden crate with another pair of wines, nice glasses and a gift certificate for a charcuterie tray.   The vintner of the Pinot Noir and Chardonnay was Kosta Browne. Without a thought of the initial bid being the winning bid, I scratched my offer on line #1 - $150. I did covet a set of hand thrown mugs from our headmaster’s wheel, but found my bid lost in the healthy bid escalations.   By the end of the evening though, I was the winner of the box of wine and chocolate and the two bottles of Kosta Browne.   Once at home

Pandemic Journey Day 49

May 9, 2020 Today’s mind experiment – this morning, I launched the thought experiment by watching a shared video called Coronavirus from Outer Space – Professor Wickramasinghe, Astrobiologist.  The channel is Green Tara Guru. The production behind Dr. Wickramasinghe’s mini-lecture was fun; his home office video was surrounded by a frame, embellished with space CGI and supporting image video clips for what he is describing at any moment, as well as, a celestial music soundtrack.  (My students would love if I were able to produce such lecture videos for them.) It was released May 1, 2020, and has a paltry three hundred fifty-nine views, one of which is mine.  After watching the video, I did my customary search about Dr. Wickramasinghe’s background.  He is a broadly publish an award-winning British mathematician and astronomer born in Sri Lanka in 1939. In the 1960’s he worked with theoretical physicist Dr. Fred Hoyle on a radical kind of panspermia (the idea that life is distributed thro

2020 Pandemic Journey Day 44

May 4, 2020 Today’s idea – What has the fog of our modern conveniences begat? I read an article last night published in 1950 by Berton Roueche’ titled The Fog . In October 1948, a toxic smog settled on the borough of Donora, PA. This town is tucked away on a meander of the Monongahela River in the Allegheny Mountains.   During that time, it was home to three huge mills, a steel plant, and a zinc and sulfuric acid plant. The towering factory stacks of these industries pushed out thick plumes of coal smoke all day and all week. Also, given the town’s proximity to the river, boats and trains added their emission to the cocktail. To seal the deal, Donora sits in the topography of secluded bluffs and hills that allow for little or no wind to carry the smoke and fumes out of town.   So the place was known to be a smutty, smokey mess, tolerated by residents who referred to the sulfurous stench as the smell of money. On this weekend in October, a thermal inversion put a tighter lid of the