Skip to main content

Fresh as a Daisy

 Lost my tweezers this morning,

and my attention to detail. 

What's the point of plucking?


That fascist, entropy, spoils everything.

We want to do things once and done.

Tweeze a chin, pluck a brow,


Sweep a floor, sort the drawer.

Entropy's mother is doubt

laced up tight as a nymph, for a little while.


In the meantime, my chin glares back from the mirror

 righteous with white hairs - vestigial colonists, Plymouth Rock;

like a little Aryan Nation on the rise.


My white terrier runs nose to ground,

trails the vapors of last night's forage,

raging against the scattering scents - more entropy, more spoils.


What is the point of chasing what's long gone anyway?

The king of confusion complains his election win was stolen.

Corona virus says, more like metabolized by facts.


Imagine the celebrations we could be having now.

But that revelry rocketed off with the SpaceX Dragon;

and we watched it board the ISS.


The party is overhead until spring, and 

we skulk about like ghosts of Christmas past.

Where did I lay those tweezers anyway?


We always have a choice; 

the days always darken in November.

I think I have conflated the two.


But I am deflecting and sulking about trifles.

Maybe the point is to be more consistent,

to have a routine, grow an indefatigable spirit.


My terrier's short legs pound the perimeter,

the cold morning air spattered with his yaps.

He's a familiar that tells no lies.


My thumb and index pull at chin hairs

as I chew the seeds of deeper vexation,

the troubles that came home to roost this year.


It's the weather and the ice caps and the Anthropocene.

What happens when the ocean currents dwindle?

When we devour the last crumbs of Eden?


Attenborough said, " We have broken loose."

But our bones, sinewed to matrimonies old as the hills,

know we are kin with Sitka and swallows and stars.

 

The mitochondria in every cell remember who we are.

 I glare back at my impudent chin, contemplating secession

from modern folly. I want to make alms of  my human capital


Trade friends family  community country

for  long solitary walks in the prairie;

pledge allegiance to what came before us.


And just where is the solitary in Earth time?

phytoplankton krill auklet seal human - all one biology.

More folly won't fix it.


My terrier has fixed on his own obsessesions,

dashing faster along the fence line,

his upturned muzzle yawps at anything with ears.


If this pen were not so focused on the next word and the next,

intent on this mental colonic,

I would bring him in, feed him a soothing breakfast.


Scratch his backside, behind his ears

My chin of marauder heritage,

nods as he makes another pass beyond the window.


Let him be. The air can hold all the bluster he can muster.

More noise for our lost signal, another cacophony on wing;

Keeping order has always been the salt mine.


We dream in easy, and we tease the struggle;

But the forest knows how to adjust her shackles and survive.

The river carries mountain in his belly and barges on his back.


Maybe my terrier's yawps are heralds 

for the next story unfolding -- a beanstalk headed for the clouds.

I'm imagining the first few lines.


My tweezers appear on a window sill, 

on the little blue planet that accommodates any catastrophe 

we contrive and, from the ISS, still looks as fresh as a daisy in May.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Covid19 Journey Day 27

April 17, 2020 Today’s celebration – Last May I attended the annual school fundraising gala.   Browsing the items on the silent auction tables, I found nothing that that stirred my avarice, so I took another tack and decided to find things that I could have fun with or devise pleasure from, as a way to justify some necessary opening bids.   There was an impressive box of chocolate bars with a couple bottles of red on which I entered the first bid, and I paused at a wooden crate with another pair of wines, nice glasses and a gift certificate for a charcuterie tray.   The vintner of the Pinot Noir and Chardonnay was Kosta Browne. Without a thought of the initial bid being the winning bid, I scratched my offer on line #1 - $150. I did covet a set of hand thrown mugs from our headmaster’s wheel, but found my bid lost in the healthy bid escalations.   By the end of the evening though, I was the winner of the box of wine and chocolate and the two bottles of Kosta Browne.   Once at home

Temerity

Helen holds hands with thunderheads. It helps when she's weak in the knees, lightning running down abductors, running down bones. Even temple guards succumb to such days, soft as pillows - scarlet velveteen on silk sheets.  Pink cyclamen bells the air, and Helen cut her traces. Bridget dreams the summer wind.  Its susurrate moan rises in waves, swells with tides of sandalwood to chariot the night.  She spins rhapsody around its howl,  dawns a golden jet stream  on spangled festoons of cirrus. Weak knees fly off with yellow wind,  before Bridget stills the night.   Sicily wets her lips with limoncello, quells the rabble of heartache, the clatter of waiting.  She rings goblets like temple bells, makes a sound map for lost days. Her boat of pink sand brims in blood oranges and cyclamen. Lightning festoons the rabble, Sicily finds Helen’s hand.

The Red Coat

You believe in open society, big dreaming and serendipity! You got perspective - a rock cairn with prayer flags. What did it take to pack up home and family, to travel treacherous miles - thousands, to be a stranger in a partisan land? This is the story of your grandmothers, your story too, without the peril. Bold hearts learn to swim with trouble. At 12, your Yankee mother sent you to join the school walk out of Southern Segregation. You were happy to buck the system, happy for new friends. Fraternizing with these kids fattened a fringe - cushioned the mean gibes of local cliches and clans. You linked arms, to carry a fine truth dancing between you: Life is unkind, life is a mission, life is a mercy. Your mother was sixteen when the H-bomb dropped on Hiroshima. Did New England air shake with wails that ricocheted across the night from Nippon to Narragansett? The sirens and howls, the hungry ghosts when they nipped the Nipponese. At sixte