Skip to main content

Journey into New Normal Day 68

May 28, 2020

This week's observations and ideas – As the economic and social flood gates slide open, I try not to get washed away.  There is a full spectrum of realities in this riptide of reentry.  I was grateful to visit the nail salon for more human touch – ahhhhh; and for the innovations that gave the salon a sense of enhanced safety and hygiene: suspended plexiglass panels hung by fishing lines between Pedi-chairs; plexiglass shields mounted on mani-tables. Masked nailists have been the norm for a long time, but I showed my respect and gratitude to them arriving in my cotton face shield too.  I was not too bothered by the naked face in the chair beside me because shields were up!  Word on the street is that restaurants and bars are packed and partying like it is 1999.  I expect that the CDC will collect more data from these science experiments. I predict that it's the servers who will newly join the "most at risk" essential workers list, right behind the meat processors. 

The dog park has not opened yet, much to the not so silent dismay of my pup.  Who would have thought of the wide-open green spaces of canine playgrounds as risky viral hotbeds? But people lose themselves when pets are playing and happy. June 1 is the reopen date for playgrounds in Iowa. Soon come, Paddy, soon come.  He gets so easily activated by things outside his window perch this week; he even scratched the paint and some plaster from a corner wall when I was out for a bit.  The new crop of squirrels and chipmunks taunts him.

I broke through a personal wall of illusion this week by going on a date, my first in decades. We met online and decided to get together to see what the energy between us was like – what women do. She lives outside of Chicago, so it felt necessary to honor some effort to social distance.  This good intention shaped the nature of our first forays of physical acquaintance.  It felt awkward and strange first to greet one another wearing masks, but there you have it.  That happened. The date was mostly outside, we walked through a natural area in the burbs, sharing stories and answering each other's questions. We studied one another's facial expressions and body language, we listened. We reached out energetically and tried to push aside presumptions and old patterns of flirting to see what else was there. We could have tried to imagine how this date would have gone outside of a pandemic – but as everything lead perfectly to that day, it is impossible to say how it would have been otherwise.  Maybe this date would have never happened; chaos brought us here. Apparently, the new normal has an appetite.

The tide washed in another thing; I qualified for a COVID test.  Nothing had changed in my world; all the answers on my weekly survey were identical to the week before. Except when I hit the submit button, "you qualify" appeared on the next screen. Today I drove to the test site at a mall on the north side of Davenport. National guardsmen wave me through a maze of New Jersey barriers that lead to a massive canvas drive-through test center. KEEP YOUR WINDOWS CLOSED was the signage every ten feet.  Through the driver's side glass, I showed my ID and the QR barcode, confirming a preapproved appointment, to a gowned, gloved, and masked nurse. He checked me in and moved to the side as another nurse - gowned, masked, and with gloves beyond her elbows, approached my car. She asked if it was okay to do a deep swap insertion into both of my nostrils. When I agreed, she told me to lower the window and handed me two tissues. "Blow your nose, please." Out of a labeled slender zip lock bag, she pulled a six or seven-inch cotton swab on a stick. "This will feel uncomfortable, probably make your eyes water.  I will need to leave it in about ten seconds." I nodded and offered my nose.  She slid it so far into my left nostril that I felt it leave my sinus passage and hit the upper back of my throat. As if commanded, my eyes instantly brimmed with tears, but I held still.  Removing the swab felt worse than putting it in; I prepared myself for the other nostril violation, held my breath, and tried not to cry. "Sweetie, you are doing great." She returned a tinged pink cotton-tipped stick to the plastic specimen bag. I thanked her, closed my window, and drove out.

I did the COVID test for three reasons: one, for the experience (I am a science teacher), second to contribute to the data, and finally to see if I am infected or not, after sixty-eight days of quasi isolation.  In three business days, I should get the results. If I'm positive, that means everyone in our global village will need to be tested, and then what? But that would be a long shot, still…. I'm thinking next is to take an antibody test so I can know what my relationship has been with this exotic creature anyway.

In the lunar calendar, Ramadan has just ended, and we have been moving through the waxing crescent of a rose moon. Zowie! In the first week, it has brought in some big cataclysmic waves.   My mother swooned again and fell, bruising some ribs and long bones. This incident led us to reevaluate if she would return to her home with me in June, and if she didn't, then maybe I wouldn't go to Tennessee, a little wrinkle in time. But then there was the George Floyd murder in Minneapolis. Another case of police escalating an arrest of a POC to a death. Now people all over the country are pissed off.  The obscene and unnecessarily violent judgment of these men in civic street power (whose mission is to protect and serve) has many of us feeling choked with anger and grief. Minneapolis downtown has become a war zone, infernos everywhere with nary a first responder in sight, as the buildings crumble under the blazes. Atlanta, Kentucky, New York, and California have formed a line of echo chambers calling for justice and embroiled with their own unbridled and violent public displays. I would not want to be a mayor or governor or police chief in these cities, but I understand the primal need to act up.

A family member shared a Medium essay – 75 Things White People Can Do for Racial Justice.  It was first written in August 2017 three years after we all rose shocked with the news of Eric Garner dying in a similar way at the hands of his arresting officers. It has become a dynamic list that grows month by month. It suggests white citizens to demand body-worn cameras to be turned on immediately when officers respond to a call; to demand that police take de-escalation training; to supply educators with books that feature POC as protagonists and heroes; to work to ensure that black educators are hired where back children are taught; to support black businesses; to look for companies that don't use prison labor; to demand decriminalization of cannabis; to demand legislators to require racial impact statements for all criminal justice bills; to read Ta-Nehisi Coates' article, The Case for Reparations, and  A People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn, and bell hooks' Teaching to Transgress; to decolonize our bookshelf; to stop being silent about racist jokes. Just to name a few.

It looks like the sweet rose moon has joined ranks with the rowdy New Normal – they could be a Power Couple we should take seriously.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Covid19 Journey Day 27

April 17, 2020 Today’s celebration – Last May I attended the annual school fundraising gala.   Browsing the items on the silent auction tables, I found nothing that that stirred my avarice, so I took another tack and decided to find things that I could have fun with or devise pleasure from, as a way to justify some necessary opening bids.   There was an impressive box of chocolate bars with a couple bottles of red on which I entered the first bid, and I paused at a wooden crate with another pair of wines, nice glasses and a gift certificate for a charcuterie tray.   The vintner of the Pinot Noir and Chardonnay was Kosta Browne. Without a thought of the initial bid being the winning bid, I scratched my offer on line #1 - $150. I did covet a set of hand thrown mugs from our headmaster’s wheel, but found my bid lost in the healthy bid escalations.   By the end of the evening though, I was the winner of the box of wine and chocolate and the two bottles of Kosta Browne.   Once at home

Temerity

Helen holds hands with thunderheads. It helps when she's weak in the knees, lightning running down abductors, running down bones. Even temple guards succumb to such days, soft as pillows - scarlet velveteen on silk sheets.  Pink cyclamen bells the air, and Helen cut her traces. Bridget dreams the summer wind.  Its susurrate moan rises in waves, swells with tides of sandalwood to chariot the night.  She spins rhapsody around its howl,  dawns a golden jet stream  on spangled festoons of cirrus. Weak knees fly off with yellow wind,  before Bridget stills the night.   Sicily wets her lips with limoncello, quells the rabble of heartache, the clatter of waiting.  She rings goblets like temple bells, makes a sound map for lost days. Her boat of pink sand brims in blood oranges and cyclamen. Lightning festoons the rabble, Sicily finds Helen’s hand.

The Red Coat

You believe in open society, big dreaming and serendipity! You got perspective - a rock cairn with prayer flags. What did it take to pack up home and family, to travel treacherous miles - thousands, to be a stranger in a partisan land? This is the story of your grandmothers, your story too, without the peril. Bold hearts learn to swim with trouble. At 12, your Yankee mother sent you to join the school walk out of Southern Segregation. You were happy to buck the system, happy for new friends. Fraternizing with these kids fattened a fringe - cushioned the mean gibes of local cliches and clans. You linked arms, to carry a fine truth dancing between you: Life is unkind, life is a mission, life is a mercy. Your mother was sixteen when the H-bomb dropped on Hiroshima. Did New England air shake with wails that ricocheted across the night from Nippon to Narragansett? The sirens and howls, the hungry ghosts when they nipped the Nipponese. At sixte