Skip to main content

Pandemic Journey Day 50

May 10, 2020

Today’s reflection on the evidence of a durable normal and the things we do to keep hope alive.

The weather on this Sunday is definitely dogwood winter, chilly, gray, damp. It provides a fine backdrop for reflections over a cup of coffee of yesterday’s quintessential spring loveliness—the perfect Saturday for outdoor living.  And today is the perfect Sunday for small tasks, reading, lesson prep and even baking.  Yes, I baked a French Apple Blueberry Galette for myself.  It was that kind of cook up some comfort day. As the pie baked and the day outside skulked about, I reminisced on Loud Thunder Forest Preserve and the gifts from the Bike Man.  

The preserve was a place the school cook suggested as I checked kids in at brunch.  After last weekend’s livestock experience, I was keen on finding a Saturday trail walk that would be less adored. And as I loaded a few fellow hikers into the school van, I felt optimistic that we’d find our Shangri-La.  This Illinois green space is tucked away along with the Mississippi downstream from the Quad-cities, deep in Trump country. There were hand lettered signs throughout Andalusia that bemoaned the governor's shut down, elevating the latest conspiracy hooey, practicing their constitutional rights. Given the state of affairs with Illinois still locked down in lockdown, I was prepared to find either the park closed or packed with kindred renegade-minded, stir-crazy citizens. Much to our relief, the gates were open and there was a paucity of cars parked in the trailhead lot, with only a few morel hunters in the woods as we set out.  The canopy was lush with freshly unfurled leaves, so that the sunlit shady breeze felt as delicious as a tall glass of cool water in an August garden. A new sequence of wild blooms littered the woods – a dark wine of toad shade, lavenders in standing phlox and crane-billed geranium, variegated pink and white wood sorrel, the hidden cinnamon colored flowers of wild ginger, and the wide carpets of may-apple umbrellas, the color of granny smith apples. Crossing a small ravine, I startled at a flash of crimson suddenly in my face as a scarlet tanager flew up to perch on a limb just at eye level as if planned; we obliged with gawking esteem. Overhead in the canopy, I listened to several more tanagers make their appeals to potential mates, no doubt competing for attention with some tail-wagging and wing shaking dances like Little Richard (God rest his soul).

These opportunities to walk among different wild spaces are a shot in the arm for my digitized life. The seasons’ rounds that hone a compass true, provide a sanctuary for my quirky liturgy of putting one foot before the other in fresh curiosity and with a gritty reverence for what has come before and continues to return.  It is a worship for the eternity of emergent flowers with their perfect timing to exploit the available sunlight before the canopy crowds in; for the sheltering overstory that reels in cycles of avaian diaspora; and for the inspiration of the essential recycling services of mushrooms – each of these, a touchstone of resilience. In countless ways, humans mindlessly plague natural communities, as the Coronavirus plagues us.  This tried and true opulence, when given a chance to return, displays no acrimony, as if to say, parasites will be parasites.

Returning to school via an ice cream shop, I got a call from the bike-man.  The bicycles we brought by on Thursday for refurbishing were good to go. Being in the same QC quadrant as his house, I added that to our itinerary. This mechanical craftsman has operated his cash only cycle shop in a garage beside his home for decades and is a legend.  His work was impeccable at bargain-basement prices. I can vouch that he is a cornerstone agent for reducing the carbon footprint in our municipality.  The beautiful Saturday weather facilitated boom for his business; we pulled into the side street beside his shop along with three or four other vehicles.  As is my practice in the world beyond my pandemic free bubble, I donned my cotton mask, then noticed I was alone in this act.  In fact, as I waited outside the gate for the space around his garage to clear, I was met by departing customers, who glared at me as if to say, “why are you bringing us down with that token reminder of this interminable never-ending health saga, and on such a fine day?” Behind my mask, I just smiled – the bike man, like me, is no spring chicken.  We’ve got to look out for each other.  I was grateful to be able to share this enterprise of long standing local commerce with my students, a plucky back yard part of normal is alive and healthy.  I will do my part to keep it that way.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Covid19 Journey Day 27

April 17, 2020 Today’s celebration – Last May I attended the annual school fundraising gala.   Browsing the items on the silent auction tables, I found nothing that that stirred my avarice, so I took another tack and decided to find things that I could have fun with or devise pleasure from, as a way to justify some necessary opening bids.   There was an impressive box of chocolate bars with a couple bottles of red on which I entered the first bid, and I paused at a wooden crate with another pair of wines, nice glasses and a gift certificate for a charcuterie tray.   The vintner of the Pinot Noir and Chardonnay was Kosta Browne. Without a thought of the initial bid being the winning bid, I scratched my offer on line #1 - $150. I did covet a set of hand thrown mugs from our headmaster’s wheel, but found my bid lost in the healthy bid escalations.   By the end of the evening though, I was the winner of the box of wine and chocolate and the two bottles of Kosta Browne.   Once at home

Temerity

Helen holds hands with thunderheads. It helps when she's weak in the knees, lightning running down abductors, running down bones. Even temple guards succumb to such days, soft as pillows - scarlet velveteen on silk sheets.  Pink cyclamen bells the air, and Helen cut her traces. Bridget dreams the summer wind.  Its susurrate moan rises in waves, swells with tides of sandalwood to chariot the night.  She spins rhapsody around its howl,  dawns a golden jet stream  on spangled festoons of cirrus. Weak knees fly off with yellow wind,  before Bridget stills the night.   Sicily wets her lips with limoncello, quells the rabble of heartache, the clatter of waiting.  She rings goblets like temple bells, makes a sound map for lost days. Her boat of pink sand brims in blood oranges and cyclamen. Lightning festoons the rabble, Sicily finds Helen’s hand.

Covid Journal Entry 14

April 4, 2020 Today’s image – Exploring social cohorts. So, on campus now there is a small village of us living together, the remnants of those in residence this year.   We are an international population: seven from the US, six from Vietnam, five from China,   four from Morocco, one from the DR and two dogs/three cats.   We share four large buildings where we live, take our meals, study and exercise, on a five-acre campus. The rest of the two hundred and sixty or seventy odd community members are sheltering in their homes; some of the teachers and administrators dropping by during the week to work in their offices.   We have had little or no contact with them so far.   Our chef and his crew of two come in by rotation to prepare and serve the daily meals, a maintenance duo tend to the essential tasks and repairs, the city services haul away trash and recycling, the postal service, UPS and FedEx still deliver mail and packages.   It’s Iowa and the governor has been holding out on