Skip to main content

Pandemic Journey Day 58

May 18, 2020

So few grains of happiness

measured against all the dark

and still the scales balance.



The world asks of us

only the strength we have, and we give it.

Then it asks more, and we give it.

-          Jane Hirshfield

Today’s observations – I did it, nervously, but I joined the soft re-entry to normal. Wait, it’s the new normal.  I took a step further into the new normal as I kept the appointment I made a month ago with my hairdresser.  It had been two months since I sat in his chair. I made the appointment as an act of good faith. As the date drew closer, I thought, it will be canceled or rescheduled -nothing to stress about. Then it wasn’t. So I juggled that in my head a bit - should I go or not?  The truth is that this little shop needed my show of confidence more than I needed to prove anything to myself. I have been helping to maintain a safe business and home environment at the school.  There must be a way to resume the community of commerce in the new normal. 

Walking through the front door, I scanned the shop. There were three stylists and only two other clients besides me.  My hairdresser was preparing his station and asked me to wash my hands while he finished up.  Everyone wore masked, and the air smelled clean, you could have eaten off the floor, well, maybe not eaten off the floor.  It is a hair salon, but all the surfaces were gleaming.  As he waved me over, I popped down in the black swivel chair to let him do his work.  I had forgotten how long it had been since another adult human had touched me with intention.  I needed that, even if it did feel like a naughty pleasure.

We fell into our regular chat as if I had been in only last week. Crossing the invisible quarantine line gave an edge to the conversation, though, we felt grateful each other had emerged okay. He loves to talk about European travels with his wife.  I like to pepper the chat with the nerd bombs, asking his opinion on the latest COVID medical theories or how other countries have handled their outbreaks. For now, we have little personal experience with the disease, and we favor friendly topics, so we steer away from politics.  He is a Midwest small-town local boy, and he voted for Trump because he has always voted Republican. I suppose as the election nears, I will test him on his allegiance. At that moment, I didn’t want to distract him from his task at hand  (his fingers in my hair).

I did share a story I read in the NY Times this morning.  A family in Brooklyn had to experience the new inflammatory syndrome that shows ups in kids as it ravaged their fourteen-year-old son. Inflammation hits the blood vessels causing the blood pressure to drop so much that the heart beats itself dizzy, trying to revive it. The doctors considered the stress on his heart a kind of heart failure.  The boy told reporters that he felt he had fire running through his veins.  This is a mean and nasty virus!

At school, we are living with a lot of disappointment.  It doesn’t look like the boarding students will be traveling home any time soon.  The US coronavirus news is so bad in the eyes of other nations; they have restricted travel severely.  Vietnam will revisit opening their borders in July and Morocco, maybe in June.  Their parents are rightly concerned about the ability to return in the fall.  Watching how sanguine most of the kids have been about the news inspires me.  They are right in the middle of something for which they and their families never signed up.  Today as a few of us got together to make bread, I listened to their new normal discussions, what summer in Iowa might be like, and what they would be taking next year for independent study classes.

On another note, in Des Moines, some neighborhood folks have begun placing zip lock bags full of masks in the tiny free libraries, as the state health officials began recommendations for everyone wear masks in public.  I’m witnessing about 50% participation now, as Iowa reports three to four hundred new cases a day.  I supposed that is manageable in a state of 3.15 million.  There are still Iowa counties reporting no positive cases.  I find it interesting that the highest age group testing positive is 18-42.  

Across the river in Illinois, government authorities are still trying to balance the scales. Those Chicagoans just won’t get with the program.  Mayor Lightfoot has decided to fine churches for violating her public health’s mandate for reduced capacity numbers in their services. Still, auto insurance premium numbers are going down, that’s progress somewhere.  But I still grin at the fact that in the time of COVID, cannabis and liquor are the sanctioned and essential agents of spirit, while churchgoers must suffer the mayor’s wrath.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Covid19 Journey Day 27

April 17, 2020 Today’s celebration – Last May I attended the annual school fundraising gala.   Browsing the items on the silent auction tables, I found nothing that that stirred my avarice, so I took another tack and decided to find things that I could have fun with or devise pleasure from, as a way to justify some necessary opening bids.   There was an impressive box of chocolate bars with a couple bottles of red on which I entered the first bid, and I paused at a wooden crate with another pair of wines, nice glasses and a gift certificate for a charcuterie tray.   The vintner of the Pinot Noir and Chardonnay was Kosta Browne. Without a thought of the initial bid being the winning bid, I scratched my offer on line #1 - $150. I did covet a set of hand thrown mugs from our headmaster’s wheel, but found my bid lost in the healthy bid escalations.   By the end of the evening though, I was the winner of the box of wine and chocolate and the two bottles of Kosta Browne.   Once at home

Temerity

Helen holds hands with thunderheads. It helps when she's weak in the knees, lightning running down abductors, running down bones. Even temple guards succumb to such days, soft as pillows - scarlet velveteen on silk sheets.  Pink cyclamen bells the air, and Helen cut her traces. Bridget dreams the summer wind.  Its susurrate moan rises in waves, swells with tides of sandalwood to chariot the night.  She spins rhapsody around its howl,  dawns a golden jet stream  on spangled festoons of cirrus. Weak knees fly off with yellow wind,  before Bridget stills the night.   Sicily wets her lips with limoncello, quells the rabble of heartache, the clatter of waiting.  She rings goblets like temple bells, makes a sound map for lost days. Her boat of pink sand brims in blood oranges and cyclamen. Lightning festoons the rabble, Sicily finds Helen’s hand.

The Red Coat

You believe in open society, big dreaming and serendipity! You got perspective - a rock cairn with prayer flags. What did it take to pack up home and family, to travel treacherous miles - thousands, to be a stranger in a partisan land? This is the story of your grandmothers, your story too, without the peril. Bold hearts learn to swim with trouble. At 12, your Yankee mother sent you to join the school walk out of Southern Segregation. You were happy to buck the system, happy for new friends. Fraternizing with these kids fattened a fringe - cushioned the mean gibes of local cliches and clans. You linked arms, to carry a fine truth dancing between you: Life is unkind, life is a mission, life is a mercy. Your mother was sixteen when the H-bomb dropped on Hiroshima. Did New England air shake with wails that ricocheted across the night from Nippon to Narragansett? The sirens and howls, the hungry ghosts when they nipped the Nipponese. At sixte