Skip to main content

Covid19 Journal Entry 6


March 27,2020

Today’s observation – I have discovered where the intrepid Indiana families go for social distancing – they go to their nearest state park campground.  For my overnight accommodation, I sequestered myself and my pup at a park south of Indianapolis on a wooded ridge, at a corner site surrounded by RVs parked at tangential angles from me and a good fifty yards away.  I pulled out my hammock and strapped it between two big trees. Some gave me nervous looks as I took a walk around the campground to stretch my legs, but they were easily disarmed with a smile. We are in this together.  Kids were riding their bikes and playing corn hole.  Family dogs were tethered while parents grilled hamburgers and drank beer in the warm slanted light.  It was an outback suburbia. I climbed into the hammock with my back to the busy scene and took in the slope of leafless trees beyond me.  If not for a forecast of thunderstorms later in the night, I would have slept there, but by 9:00, I decided to stretch out in the backseat of my Escape capsule and nodded off to sleep early.  Spring may be much slower to emerge in wildflowers and buds here in the upper Midwest, still the air temperature was kind and warm enough for gnats.  I was very grateful to shelter with the gentle folk in that Ohio River watershed world.

Today’s image – Newscasters and government officials are calling the pandemic an unprecedented disruption, and sure – I can see their point.  Beyond that, there is a truth that keeps resurfacing: I see it as a powerful recalibrating agent.  I am imagining the striving America – full of bustle and bills, hitting a wall of resignation with the mandated cessation from regular routines, schedules, appointments, duties, expectations and what is agreed upon as a normal, albeit frenetic, rhythm. Modern bustle stripped down to essentials – a jitterbug boogey reduced to a waltz.  There are indeed many sheltering in place and not dancing at all because they have no shelter or safe harbor.  They are a big part of this story.  I am thinking about the fortunate ones who are sheltered with family and caring folks, or at least in safe places alone with a faithful pet as champion or generous neighbors. As I read the accounts of how others spend their days, there is another pace taking hold as well as some new ways of being together, seldom experienced previously without being drunk, stoned or ill.  Forced to slow down and pay attention is BIG MEDICINE for this place, even if It is the best way to help our doctors, nurses, first responders and other caregivers do their jobs as they come to our rescue. Who could have guessed disruption would deliver salvation like this?

Today’s idea – Sometimes it is best to step outside the frantic glut of facts and do something very inattentive to the emergency at hand.  Sitting by a river on a balmy afternoon or listening to an audiobook or reading to a child, finding new music, watching again a favorite old movie or binge watching a new series recommended on a FB post. Distraction has its own important work to do.  The crisis looms ready to reengage us at a moment’s notice.  We are learning the opposite of calculated rescue is dalliance, and that is equally important to the mission of recovery.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Covid19 Journey Day 27

April 17, 2020 Today’s celebration – Last May I attended the annual school fundraising gala.   Browsing the items on the silent auction tables, I found nothing that that stirred my avarice, so I took another tack and decided to find things that I could have fun with or devise pleasure from, as a way to justify some necessary opening bids.   There was an impressive box of chocolate bars with a couple bottles of red on which I entered the first bid, and I paused at a wooden crate with another pair of wines, nice glasses and a gift certificate for a charcuterie tray.   The vintner of the Pinot Noir and Chardonnay was Kosta Browne. Without a thought of the initial bid being the winning bid, I scratched my offer on line #1 - $150. I did covet a set of hand thrown mugs from our headmaster’s wheel, but found my bid lost in the healthy bid escalations.   By the end of the evening though, I was the winner of the box of wine and chocolate and the two bottles of Kosta Browne.   Once at home

Temerity

Helen holds hands with thunderheads. It helps when she's weak in the knees, lightning running down abductors, running down bones. Even temple guards succumb to such days, soft as pillows - scarlet velveteen on silk sheets.  Pink cyclamen bells the air, and Helen cut her traces. Bridget dreams the summer wind.  Its susurrate moan rises in waves, swells with tides of sandalwood to chariot the night.  She spins rhapsody around its howl,  dawns a golden jet stream  on spangled festoons of cirrus. Weak knees fly off with yellow wind,  before Bridget stills the night.   Sicily wets her lips with limoncello, quells the rabble of heartache, the clatter of waiting.  She rings goblets like temple bells, makes a sound map for lost days. Her boat of pink sand brims in blood oranges and cyclamen. Lightning festoons the rabble, Sicily finds Helen’s hand.

Covid Journal Entry 14

April 4, 2020 Today’s image – Exploring social cohorts. So, on campus now there is a small village of us living together, the remnants of those in residence this year.   We are an international population: seven from the US, six from Vietnam, five from China,   four from Morocco, one from the DR and two dogs/three cats.   We share four large buildings where we live, take our meals, study and exercise, on a five-acre campus. The rest of the two hundred and sixty or seventy odd community members are sheltering in their homes; some of the teachers and administrators dropping by during the week to work in their offices.   We have had little or no contact with them so far.   Our chef and his crew of two come in by rotation to prepare and serve the daily meals, a maintenance duo tend to the essential tasks and repairs, the city services haul away trash and recycling, the postal service, UPS and FedEx still deliver mail and packages.   It’s Iowa and the governor has been holding out on