Skip to main content

Covid19 Journal Entry 9


March 30, 2020

Today’s observation – I called my doctor’s office this morning to request to be tested for the virus.  I explained my circumstances, how I was asymptomatic, that I worked for a school with a residential program and with an administration that was following the guidance dispatch for quarantine from the governor.  That I had been out of state on Spring Break for two weeks and hence my quarantine.  I also explained that while out of state, I’d stayed with family and helped care and keep company with my elder mother.  I had traveled in a small social circle in a rural area and had no reason to think I’d been in contact with an infected person, having practiced fastidious preventative measures throughout the last fourteen days to keep my mother safe.  (I had to be convincing. The PA at her office told me there was slim to no chance that I could get tested, they just weren’t supplied in this way; and that the governor’s memo was a recommendation not a mandate. I was ecstatic! And quite sure that I would be ending my quarantine today. The day ahead promised gorgeous sunny, mild Spring therapy and the week ahead more of the same. I promptly fired off an email to my administrators with the news.  It didn’t take long to get a response from my headmaster, who is a dear friend, but his reply was disappointing. I would have to remain in quarantine for the optics if nothing else.  He was doing triage with the extreme anxiety of the parents of our international students who were riled, and justly so, by the daily reports of our national outbreak.  Regardless of my likelihood of contagion, if someone on campus did contract the virus and get sick, and he did not want fingers to point to me.  Our school had to exhibit that it was doing everything to make the campus a shelter for our young residents. I understood, I truly did and do – if they were my kids, I’d want them home too, if there seemed any undo risk.  Still upon getting his decision rendered so succinctly and logically, I had a little emotional meltdown. An actual clutch in my belly. I realized even after only three days, that being quarantined alone (thank goodness for my little pup) away from family support or close friends is tough and lonely.  I had developed a habit of diffusing stress by sharing silly epiphanies in the moment with my sister or getting my butt kicked at canasta by my mom.  Talking on the phone or FaceTime or Zoom was not the same, and I longed to jump in the car and take long hikes in the woods or countryside. The new restrictions hit me hard after only the few days I’d left North Carolina and Tennessee.  Another odd feeling settled in for me, I felt ostracized, marginalized. Talk about privileged!  I was a spoiled American and now it was time for me to walk my righteous talk about living open hearted with my chin up.  I must trust that my colleagues will help me with any real needs I have for emotional support.  I hope this time will deepen our friendships.  Reflecting on what I wrote earlier about the moral compass of holding dignity in times of duress, accepting with grace and courage the hand one is dealt, I wonder about the foreshadowing now.  Lean in, I tell myself, this is not so bad, privileged and fortunate one.

Today’s image – Networking – I have begun to lower my pedagogy into the pools of remote classroom design.  It makes sense as an adaptation to protect our vulnerable animal-ness that we extend our capacity to continue our work as a school community with the virtual reach and protection of internet technology. Beyond deepening my technical skill set, being the traditional empirical, experiential learning advocate that I am, this innovation will open a new frontier for me and bring me to some new experiences.  Besides I might be quarantined but most of my colleagues are also sheltering in place and working from home too.  Not sitting in a room together, breathing the same air and picking up on nonverbal cues or body language delivers its own challenges for all of us.  As we learn to adapt and become adept with these new instruction platforms, in virtual discussions about best lesson deliveries or learning outcomes, we begin to understand that as important as the teaching is the ability to practice more tolerance with each other and with our students.  The simple act of changing our group discussion formats has been taxing in and of itself today as we explored together the Microsoft TEAMS platform.  We cannot shift to autopilot and cruise for the time being.  Many of us are rattled not doubt because our fourth quarter feels as if it has short circuited back to a first quarter.  No doubt, students feel a bit of the same anxiety about how the year will end. Still the spring advances, the moon circles Earth growing full then thinning back to dark and we turn around our sun from daylight to dawn.  Gratitude for these fixed constants that provide us with firm footing as we learn the new steps forward, as we adapt.

Today’s idea – Surrender can be such a unifier, a reconciliation, a show of respectful deference.  What is the opposite of such acquiescence? What is worthy of receiving such?  I want to know that I surrender into a bowl that holds my volition with care and respect, not pouring it onto a rock that will grind it into fodder.  Funny how important that discretionary point is because once surrendered it is no longer mine but another’s.  That is the nature of surrender, no? And my eccentric individualist self, apparently an important core element of my identity still struggles with being a simple and strong thread in the weave of a larger cloth.  I am always awkward in my swimming with the school of us.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Covid19 Journey Day 27

April 17, 2020 Today’s celebration – Last May I attended the annual school fundraising gala.   Browsing the items on the silent auction tables, I found nothing that that stirred my avarice, so I took another tack and decided to find things that I could have fun with or devise pleasure from, as a way to justify some necessary opening bids.   There was an impressive box of chocolate bars with a couple bottles of red on which I entered the first bid, and I paused at a wooden crate with another pair of wines, nice glasses and a gift certificate for a charcuterie tray.   The vintner of the Pinot Noir and Chardonnay was Kosta Browne. Without a thought of the initial bid being the winning bid, I scratched my offer on line #1 - $150. I did covet a set of hand thrown mugs from our headmaster’s wheel, but found my bid lost in the healthy bid escalations.   By the end of the evening though, I was the winner of the box of wine and chocolate and the two bottles of Kosta Browne.   Once at home

Temerity

Helen holds hands with thunderheads. It helps when she's weak in the knees, lightning running down abductors, running down bones. Even temple guards succumb to such days, soft as pillows - scarlet velveteen on silk sheets.  Pink cyclamen bells the air, and Helen cut her traces. Bridget dreams the summer wind.  Its susurrate moan rises in waves, swells with tides of sandalwood to chariot the night.  She spins rhapsody around its howl,  dawns a golden jet stream  on spangled festoons of cirrus. Weak knees fly off with yellow wind,  before Bridget stills the night.   Sicily wets her lips with limoncello, quells the rabble of heartache, the clatter of waiting.  She rings goblets like temple bells, makes a sound map for lost days. Her boat of pink sand brims in blood oranges and cyclamen. Lightning festoons the rabble, Sicily finds Helen’s hand.

Covid Journal Entry 14

April 4, 2020 Today’s image – Exploring social cohorts. So, on campus now there is a small village of us living together, the remnants of those in residence this year.   We are an international population: seven from the US, six from Vietnam, five from China,   four from Morocco, one from the DR and two dogs/three cats.   We share four large buildings where we live, take our meals, study and exercise, on a five-acre campus. The rest of the two hundred and sixty or seventy odd community members are sheltering in their homes; some of the teachers and administrators dropping by during the week to work in their offices.   We have had little or no contact with them so far.   Our chef and his crew of two come in by rotation to prepare and serve the daily meals, a maintenance duo tend to the essential tasks and repairs, the city services haul away trash and recycling, the postal service, UPS and FedEx still deliver mail and packages.   It’s Iowa and the governor has been holding out on