Skip to main content

Covid19 Journal Entry 4


March 25, 2020

It’s almost time to travel again, I must get back to school and the dorm.  The international students who can’t go home now, need me too.  I’ll leave tomorrow, stopping to overnight with my son.  Push on then for a two-day drive: Tennessee to Kentucky, Indiana, Illinois and Iowa.  As I check the infection map, I hope the route I take can avoid hotspots, allowing my Escape capsule to deliver me uneventfully home where I will go into self-quarantine for 14 days.  That’s my intention.

Today’s observation - Have you notice how the boomers are taking care of themselves?  I have!  We are walking once or twice a day on wooded walkways, running along ridge trails, doing yoga with our favorite YouTube teacher, shopping for ourselves and our families at the early hours.  On a walking trail today, I passed a pasty fellow wearing his weighted vest, slow and steady in his gait - creases from his C-pap mask straps, still visible on his cheeks. Off  the Blue Ridge Parkway on a trail that circles a lake, I walked my Westie with boomers who ran laps around me or were briskly walking their pooches too.  We are determined to stay fit.  Like Prince Charles, as likely as any to be infected but not the most likely to be taken down.  We won’t settle into that slot yet.  The Woodstock Nation Abides Strong!

Today’s idea - I think the wild world is getting a much deserved and needed respite from humankind. Think about it. Wild things can travel more with people cloistered in their homes, even make innocent visits to human neighborhoods, a necessary widening of their territories even if it is a temporary one. I am imagining everywhere; the natural world is celebrating the hiatus from our industrialized invasions and exploitation. What if they held an all species summit, planning the next infection, taking ideas and volunteers, voting about the best avenues for infiltration, what could deliver the most human disruptions.  They would be giving high accommodations to the corona virus and its unexpected success. They are hoping we will take a second and third look at how we move forward on the day the Covid19 pandemic abates. I’m just saying - the wild things have shown us, they can kick our booties into a dim tomorrow.  I’m paying attention.

Today’s image - I call my friends on the Standing Rock Reservation in North Dakota.  I talk with Rochelle. It is Lorenzo’s birthday, he’s 23 and back from Job Corp because they had to close for a while like us.  Yes, there have been two cases reported on the res.  One case is a young man who went to Bismarck for a haircut, and he thinks he got infected there.  Some things never change. Rochelle is grinding sage and cedar in her mortar bowl - an Indian antiviral and strong medicine for the white man’s fever. She gave me a recipe for flat cedar tea: boil 1 teaspoon of dried leaves to a quart of water and drink hot.  Make sure to use it to smudge your space too.  I’ll ask my son in Washington to send me a package, it grows in his area along the Sammamish coast.   I asked her what they need. She told me they are running out of food.  There are only a few grocery stores in their area, most are closed and out of food.  Last week they heard that the store closest to them got a new owner, he did a give away, one bag of groceries to everyone who showed up.  They hopped in their car and drove over to find that the give away was given out.  I asked her what she could use most now, she said meat.  She liked sardines with mustard sauce, Frank liked Vienna Sausages with crackers.  A care package from Walmart is on the way, I hope it will arrive soon enough and hold them over for a while.  May the cedar sage tea keep them clean and healthy.  Biehciya!  Stay strong and take courage!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Covid19 Journey Day 27

April 17, 2020 Today’s celebration – Last May I attended the annual school fundraising gala.   Browsing the items on the silent auction tables, I found nothing that that stirred my avarice, so I took another tack and decided to find things that I could have fun with or devise pleasure from, as a way to justify some necessary opening bids.   There was an impressive box of chocolate bars with a couple bottles of red on which I entered the first bid, and I paused at a wooden crate with another pair of wines, nice glasses and a gift certificate for a charcuterie tray.   The vintner of the Pinot Noir and Chardonnay was Kosta Browne. Without a thought of the initial bid being the winning bid, I scratched my offer on line #1 - $150. I did covet a set of hand thrown mugs from our headmaster’s wheel, but found my bid lost in the healthy bid escalations.   By the end of the evening though, I was the winner of the box of wine and chocolate and the two bottles of Kosta Browne.   Once at home

Temerity

Helen holds hands with thunderheads. It helps when she's weak in the knees, lightning running down abductors, running down bones. Even temple guards succumb to such days, soft as pillows - scarlet velveteen on silk sheets.  Pink cyclamen bells the air, and Helen cut her traces. Bridget dreams the summer wind.  Its susurrate moan rises in waves, swells with tides of sandalwood to chariot the night.  She spins rhapsody around its howl,  dawns a golden jet stream  on spangled festoons of cirrus. Weak knees fly off with yellow wind,  before Bridget stills the night.   Sicily wets her lips with limoncello, quells the rabble of heartache, the clatter of waiting.  She rings goblets like temple bells, makes a sound map for lost days. Her boat of pink sand brims in blood oranges and cyclamen. Lightning festoons the rabble, Sicily finds Helen’s hand.

Covid Journal Entry 14

April 4, 2020 Today’s image – Exploring social cohorts. So, on campus now there is a small village of us living together, the remnants of those in residence this year.   We are an international population: seven from the US, six from Vietnam, five from China,   four from Morocco, one from the DR and two dogs/three cats.   We share four large buildings where we live, take our meals, study and exercise, on a five-acre campus. The rest of the two hundred and sixty or seventy odd community members are sheltering in their homes; some of the teachers and administrators dropping by during the week to work in their offices.   We have had little or no contact with them so far.   Our chef and his crew of two come in by rotation to prepare and serve the daily meals, a maintenance duo tend to the essential tasks and repairs, the city services haul away trash and recycling, the postal service, UPS and FedEx still deliver mail and packages.   It’s Iowa and the governor has been holding out on