Skip to main content

Covid19 Journal Entry 8


March 29, 2020

At last I shelter in my own space and with an imposed two-week quarantine because the governor says so.  Yesterday, I prepared as best I could, but I plan to make an appeal to my doctor to help me get tested even if I am asymptomatic, given the circumstances.  I want to have access to my classroom, that is of the biggest concerns I have. I do have remote lessons to prepare!  Oh, how lucky am I?

Today’s observation – BIG WIND greeted me as I pulled onto campus and has pressed on throughout the night and today. There are black vultures riding it like kite surfers on the Mediterranean at Tarifa.  As I unloaded my bicycle and pushed it onto the porch, a huge limb crashed to the ground and shattered behind me.  Major spring cleaning by Mama Nature!  More normalcy from the big world beyond our drama. Gratitude.  Today I hear the ghost sounds of the others who share the Carriage House dorm with me, and my pup presses his nose to the crack beneath the door, inspecting who might be on the other side, confused about why it is not open so he can greet the girls as they come down to do their laundry or just to say hi. All their check-ins with me are now virtual until I get out of quarantine. I talked with a few of them through my window, admiring their good spirits and fortitude.  Their families wait this out on the other side of the globe, even a day ahead of us.  Here is one of the common threads I share with these kids.  WE all live far away from our families while at school.  We hold space for each other to be homesick or worried.  We envy the freedom of the birds who migrate overhead.

Today’s idea – Alliances are more vital now than ever.  A notion for rugged individualism is better deferred for the easier times. In Queens, New York there is a group of community activists who created an assistance alliance. They printed flyers and distributed them on the doors of each apartment throughout their neighborhood, asking – “what do you need?  Here is our number – just call.” Alliance cultivates such blossoms out of the compost of all the shit. Maria Popova shared today: “Hope – and the wise effective action that can spring from it – is the counterweight to the heavy sense of our own fragility.”

Today’s image – My stricken Colorado amiga has become one of the recovering from Covid19.  She described her experience as swift to arrive and brutal to endure.  She first noticed, out of nowhere, her stomach began to hurt a lot and thought, “What have I eaten?”  By that evening she was in the first throes of it – intense body aches, headache and a growing fever.  She called her doctor who told her these were clear symptoms of the virus. She prescribed something for her symptoms and told her to go to bed. “Call 911 if you have trouble breathing.”  By morning the body aches racked her with chills and higher fever.  There was nothing she took to relieve the headache. By day three she was coughing and on the floor with nausea as she hugged the toilet. Her doctors prescribed more meds for someone to drop at her door and reminded to call 911 if she had breathing complications.  Otherwise stay home in bed. She did all this on her own!!! There is an app she used to get a neighbor to pick things up, but they were left at her door too. Gratitude to that neighbor! After day four or five, she couldn’t remember, she felt the illness subsiding and has been in fragile recovery since.  She is joyful that she can come downstairs for a cup of tea and a movie or a book.  This virus demands such a strong and sturdy constitution and plenty of resolve from its dance partners.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Covid19 Journey Day 27

April 17, 2020 Today’s celebration – Last May I attended the annual school fundraising gala.   Browsing the items on the silent auction tables, I found nothing that that stirred my avarice, so I took another tack and decided to find things that I could have fun with or devise pleasure from, as a way to justify some necessary opening bids.   There was an impressive box of chocolate bars with a couple bottles of red on which I entered the first bid, and I paused at a wooden crate with another pair of wines, nice glasses and a gift certificate for a charcuterie tray.   The vintner of the Pinot Noir and Chardonnay was Kosta Browne. Without a thought of the initial bid being the winning bid, I scratched my offer on line #1 - $150. I did covet a set of hand thrown mugs from our headmaster’s wheel, but found my bid lost in the healthy bid escalations.   By the end of the evening though, I was the winner of the box of wine and chocolate and the two bottles of Kosta Browne.   Once at home

Temerity

Helen holds hands with thunderheads. It helps when she's weak in the knees, lightning running down abductors, running down bones. Even temple guards succumb to such days, soft as pillows - scarlet velveteen on silk sheets.  Pink cyclamen bells the air, and Helen cut her traces. Bridget dreams the summer wind.  Its susurrate moan rises in waves, swells with tides of sandalwood to chariot the night.  She spins rhapsody around its howl,  dawns a golden jet stream  on spangled festoons of cirrus. Weak knees fly off with yellow wind,  before Bridget stills the night.   Sicily wets her lips with limoncello, quells the rabble of heartache, the clatter of waiting.  She rings goblets like temple bells, makes a sound map for lost days. Her boat of pink sand brims in blood oranges and cyclamen. Lightning festoons the rabble, Sicily finds Helen’s hand.

Covid Journal Entry 14

April 4, 2020 Today’s image – Exploring social cohorts. So, on campus now there is a small village of us living together, the remnants of those in residence this year.   We are an international population: seven from the US, six from Vietnam, five from China,   four from Morocco, one from the DR and two dogs/three cats.   We share four large buildings where we live, take our meals, study and exercise, on a five-acre campus. The rest of the two hundred and sixty or seventy odd community members are sheltering in their homes; some of the teachers and administrators dropping by during the week to work in their offices.   We have had little or no contact with them so far.   Our chef and his crew of two come in by rotation to prepare and serve the daily meals, a maintenance duo tend to the essential tasks and repairs, the city services haul away trash and recycling, the postal service, UPS and FedEx still deliver mail and packages.   It’s Iowa and the governor has been holding out on