Skip to main content

Covid19 Journal Entry 3


March 23, 2020 
New Moon in Aries

Today’s image - Crows still fly across the bare gray Appalachian canopy at the foot of Howard’s Knob.  Maples still push the fuchsia fringe off apical woody tips.  My oldest son still shares bits of comic relief with a shared video. In it a southern man with a rural mountain twang to his speech warns his neighbors of a girl who has walked up to him (the camera points down a gravel road cutting across a field with a fence row of trees and a barn and other buildings in the background). He says, “Things are getting real now.  She offered me a donut and a blow job for a roll of toilet paper,”  
Still the robins poke about for careless earthworms. (maybe they are not careless, just resigned) and my Westie still lives to bounce around the woods refusing my pleas to come.  He’s a good mirror who follows his bliss.  To shelter in place in this mountain town helps to keep my perspective wide, allows me to be contemplative more than reactionary.  I have the luxury of intention as I plan my day.  If I know what is good for me, in this geography of emergent Spring, undisturbed by the current human crisis, I will remind myself to keep an even keel as find ways to be helpful.  It is mostly energetic service I offer for now, until other doors present themselves.

A new moon idea (inspired by Chani Nicholas) - Here we have arrived, at a time that calls us all to rally our courage and to meet the moment with honesty.  How can we be of service to the WHOLE?  Yes, the whole tamale: Earth, Wind, Fire and Water; to the two leggeds, the four leggeds, the creepy crawling ones, the standing photo-synthesizers, the swimmers and floaters and flyers, the teeny, tiny invisible beings.  We all are sacred and all a piece of the cloth; we evolve together, or we disappear.  Chani reminded me that once this moment passes, as it will for sure, I must ask myself, how did it change me?  I want to say, “For the better.”

Today’s observation - Fear resonates in the voices of the newscasters and journalists. It is our biggest enemy, when we let it undermine family ties, community cohesion, national benevolence and global peace.  Peace is strength, it cycles a steady wheel of life and death that grinds down somethings and creates others. Science calls this the First Law of Thermodynamics, nothing is lost.  All about us, the natural world shines with examples of resilience and recovery even in the face of what we see as cataclysm and catastrophe.  I think these events serve a purpose, they can be the strong medicine required now if we look at the whole picture.And I see disenfranchised people- homeless, caged immigrants, prisoners, refugees, orphans - showing us how to fight desperation with courage. They are the most vulnerable who recognize that their work is to do their best with misfortune and empty bellies, holding onto dignity because dignity requires a compass and without it they are lost. They show me that the greatest measure of wealth in times like this is not financial but social.  A strong fabric is required, much like mycelium mats in the forest, feeding creating vital networks of strength.  True, this is a stress test for our civil designs.  How are we doing?  Maybe I will start frying doughnuts.  They seem to be a sound currency today.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Covid19 Journey Day 27

April 17, 2020 Today’s celebration – Last May I attended the annual school fundraising gala.   Browsing the items on the silent auction tables, I found nothing that that stirred my avarice, so I took another tack and decided to find things that I could have fun with or devise pleasure from, as a way to justify some necessary opening bids.   There was an impressive box of chocolate bars with a couple bottles of red on which I entered the first bid, and I paused at a wooden crate with another pair of wines, nice glasses and a gift certificate for a charcuterie tray.   The vintner of the Pinot Noir and Chardonnay was Kosta Browne. Without a thought of the initial bid being the winning bid, I scratched my offer on line #1 - $150. I did covet a set of hand thrown mugs from our headmaster’s wheel, but found my bid lost in the healthy bid escalations.   By the end of the evening though, I was the winner of the box of wine and chocolate and the two bottles of Kosta Browne.   Once at home

Temerity

Helen holds hands with thunderheads. It helps when she's weak in the knees, lightning running down abductors, running down bones. Even temple guards succumb to such days, soft as pillows - scarlet velveteen on silk sheets.  Pink cyclamen bells the air, and Helen cut her traces. Bridget dreams the summer wind.  Its susurrate moan rises in waves, swells with tides of sandalwood to chariot the night.  She spins rhapsody around its howl,  dawns a golden jet stream  on spangled festoons of cirrus. Weak knees fly off with yellow wind,  before Bridget stills the night.   Sicily wets her lips with limoncello, quells the rabble of heartache, the clatter of waiting.  She rings goblets like temple bells, makes a sound map for lost days. Her boat of pink sand brims in blood oranges and cyclamen. Lightning festoons the rabble, Sicily finds Helen’s hand.

Covid Journal Entry 14

April 4, 2020 Today’s image – Exploring social cohorts. So, on campus now there is a small village of us living together, the remnants of those in residence this year.   We are an international population: seven from the US, six from Vietnam, five from China,   four from Morocco, one from the DR and two dogs/three cats.   We share four large buildings where we live, take our meals, study and exercise, on a five-acre campus. The rest of the two hundred and sixty or seventy odd community members are sheltering in their homes; some of the teachers and administrators dropping by during the week to work in their offices.   We have had little or no contact with them so far.   Our chef and his crew of two come in by rotation to prepare and serve the daily meals, a maintenance duo tend to the essential tasks and repairs, the city services haul away trash and recycling, the postal service, UPS and FedEx still deliver mail and packages.   It’s Iowa and the governor has been holding out on