Skip to main content

Corvid19 Journal Entry 11


April 1, 2020
Today’s Dream Image – I woke from a SOUND sleep – it was my alarm going off in the other room and I was still deep in dream state for minutes after I opened my eyes. This was one of those dreams I have after waking early, early, looking at my watch and then rolling back into the covers to sleep some more.  The setting was in my classroom which is in the basement of a big old mansion.  Ostensibly, I have gone there to tend to my aquariums (My current quarantine boundaries keep me out of that room and the general school buildings, so needless to say, I’ve been concerned with the health of two big tanks of fish and frogs which have not been tended to for a couple weeks now.) In my dream, the bigger one was thick with a furry algae, even my big old Plecostomus was green with it. The frog terrarium had been moved to a shelf beneath the aquarium and filled with water so that the frogs had to swim, but what made matters awful was that there was a large serpentine predator chasing them around the tank. The frogs were in big distress. As I was studying how to remedy this sad circumstance of these troubled water world, my aunt from Cincinnati walks over to me.  So surprised and overjoyed, I hug her and as we embrace, I look over her shoulder to see my mom moving toward us from across the room.  We stood together with our arms around one another in a big hug.  I was busting with the urge to introduce my family femmes to my schoolmates, anyone in the building would do.  Here we were, jubilant – three of the family matriarchs together in one unlikely place.  It was a joyful way to wake.
Today’s observation – Windows everyone in town are filled with colored paper hearts.  I’ve begun to see more and more of them, walking my pup through the neighborhoods, going to the grocery store, even on campus today there was a big window full of them in a central building.  Curious was the heartful conspiracy was all about, I googled it.  It’s a display of solidarity that translate to “we are safe in shelter and we know that this too will pass.  Keep up the hope as you take care.”  I thought, “Okay, I’m down with that.” Now I have a mosaic of paper hearts on my front window, a rainbow of them. 

Today’s idea – Attitude counts for a lot of any outcome.  Funny how after that sumptuous dream finale, my mood sagged into a dark sad place.  I was felling isolated and sorry for myself.  Not depressed but mopey and unmotivated.  Kind of emotionally stranded. After coffee and breakfast, I moved through the first hours of morning like a dull pencil, dragging myself through duty and routine.  During the Zoon faculty meeting, I felt ill at ease and unconnected, just wanting it to end.  Where did all the love go?  At last I harnessed up my Westie and we walked down to the Mississippi.  What a picturesque Spring day it was – the air still and mildly warm, fresh and sweet smelling.  The Cardinals were in full voice as well at the Canada geese. We walked, I just listened and breathed.  As I was walking, I got the idea to investigate making cloth masks with the girls; when I got out of quarantine, I’d find a sewing machine. Then my phone rang, it was my head of school reporting in about how to shorten my quarantine.  I’d called him yesterday, requesting again to consider letting me end it early, considering the dire news about the Covid19 forecasts, delivered last night by the President.  I needed to be more available for the kids. Today he told me that he’d been consulting some of the physicians on the board of trustees.  They think that if I have no symptoms and fever after five or six days, I should be able to end it soon thereafter.  Yes, I told him, I’ll take my temp. daily. I shot home as soon as my legs would carry me, and my pup’s legs would carry him. 97.2° F.  I started a daily log.  Then I noticed a message from a colleague, opened it and learned that the Parents’ Council had bought us a new sewing machine. She left it outside my door.  I was a little incredulous.  Not thirty minutes ago, I’d been dreaming about looking for a machine to make masks.  I’d walked into a magic afternoon.  The least I could do is fill my window with hearts.  Well maybe, that and clean my aquariums on the D & L. Shhhhhhh…

Someday we'll find it
The Rainbow Connection
The lovers, the dreamers and me




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Covid19 Journey Day 27

April 17, 2020 Today’s celebration – Last May I attended the annual school fundraising gala.   Browsing the items on the silent auction tables, I found nothing that that stirred my avarice, so I took another tack and decided to find things that I could have fun with or devise pleasure from, as a way to justify some necessary opening bids.   There was an impressive box of chocolate bars with a couple bottles of red on which I entered the first bid, and I paused at a wooden crate with another pair of wines, nice glasses and a gift certificate for a charcuterie tray.   The vintner of the Pinot Noir and Chardonnay was Kosta Browne. Without a thought of the initial bid being the winning bid, I scratched my offer on line #1 - $150. I did covet a set of hand thrown mugs from our headmaster’s wheel, but found my bid lost in the healthy bid escalations.   By the end of the evening though, I was the winner of the box of wine and chocolate and the two bottles of Kosta Browne.   Once at home

Temerity

Helen holds hands with thunderheads. It helps when she's weak in the knees, lightning running down abductors, running down bones. Even temple guards succumb to such days, soft as pillows - scarlet velveteen on silk sheets.  Pink cyclamen bells the air, and Helen cut her traces. Bridget dreams the summer wind.  Its susurrate moan rises in waves, swells with tides of sandalwood to chariot the night.  She spins rhapsody around its howl,  dawns a golden jet stream  on spangled festoons of cirrus. Weak knees fly off with yellow wind,  before Bridget stills the night.   Sicily wets her lips with limoncello, quells the rabble of heartache, the clatter of waiting.  She rings goblets like temple bells, makes a sound map for lost days. Her boat of pink sand brims in blood oranges and cyclamen. Lightning festoons the rabble, Sicily finds Helen’s hand.

Covid Journal Entry 14

April 4, 2020 Today’s image – Exploring social cohorts. So, on campus now there is a small village of us living together, the remnants of those in residence this year.   We are an international population: seven from the US, six from Vietnam, five from China,   four from Morocco, one from the DR and two dogs/three cats.   We share four large buildings where we live, take our meals, study and exercise, on a five-acre campus. The rest of the two hundred and sixty or seventy odd community members are sheltering in their homes; some of the teachers and administrators dropping by during the week to work in their offices.   We have had little or no contact with them so far.   Our chef and his crew of two come in by rotation to prepare and serve the daily meals, a maintenance duo tend to the essential tasks and repairs, the city services haul away trash and recycling, the postal service, UPS and FedEx still deliver mail and packages.   It’s Iowa and the governor has been holding out on