Skip to main content

Covid19 Journal Entry 15


April 5, 2020

Today’s observation – Our county’s first reported case was just two weeks ago, March 21, and currently with just forty-one cases, the first corona virus death was reported today – an 81-year-old man.  He fit the fatality demographic perfectly. I imagine his death is a double whammy now because I also know that funerals are a problem.  I hate this for his family and all those who need to grieve in these days of mandated isolation.  The need to mourn with others is primal for us.  It adds a layer of trauma to the densely stacked emotional stratigraphy.  Across the river in Illinois, I read about a man who was arrested for keeping his pub open.  Apparently, his neighbors were vigilant and not keen on his public health delinquency.  I appreciate the need to get outside and see people I know, it is essential to our emotional and mental well-being, but someone could have reminded him that it is good to be adult about choosing the setting, No?  I stayed put at home for most the day, preparing for class tomorrow and sewing masks.  But by mid-afternoon, I could ignore the sirens of the delicious weather no longer, and pup and I went out to find an empty slice of woods.  We ended up at a state park west of town.  I felt apprehensive seeing the dozen cars parked at a trail head and scanned the area for how the hiker traffic was looking.  Apparently, the park was large enough to give space for us all to walk with safe social distancing.  I decided to choose the trail less traveled. Here in Iowa the wildflowers are just beginning their blossoms.  To take in the floral procession is an important Spring tonic for me, a visual dose of dandelion tea. Over the course of the hike I crossed paths with many of all ages.  We did our due diligence to keep a wide berth between us, exchanging smiles and pleasantries.  It seemed the civil thing to do as we gleaned what we each needed to fortify ourselves. I thought about the possibility of bringing a small group of dorm students to a park like this, weighing the risks with the benefits.  Sometimes sunshine and fresh air in a beautiful place is as important as washing hands.  That’s what I tell my self in this moment of concern for kids so grimly sequestered.

Today’s image – I have noticed on my wildflower walks that Iowa has many of the same species of flowers as I find in Tennessee: Rue Anemone, Bloodroot, Dutchman’s Breeches, Spring Beauties, Wild Geraniums, Wake Robin Trillium, and Violets. And many of them are bigger than their Eastern cousins, sturdier too.  Maybe something in the water.  Gratitude for this kind of sensory experience to balance the influx of dire news.  Which lens does my beauty seeking peer through?

Today’s Idea – I’m feeling more lost these days as if out of step, out of kilter with what I should be doing. An image that comes to mind for me to encapsulate this mood is from the Tarot deck: the Hanged Man.  Not in struggle, but ill at ease.  The picture of a person hanging by one foot denotes a state of purposeful, complete surrender, yielding to the larger forces at play. Are the larger forces house in the invisible world? Are they idea forming into actions? Are we at the brink of a long cascade of collapses? The wide possibilities of this illuminate the edges of my thoughts.  And how can I invite surrender to serve me? It depends on what I am bowing to.  To surrender to a shift in life rhythms – when the music changes so does the dance.  To surrender to a rush to join some scamper of lemmings headed for a cliff edge – hmmmm, I think I’d best step aside of that one.  The Hanged Man attributes that I consider most useful invite a new point of view.  I’m thinking about Carlos Castaneda’s stories on learning how to live as a warrior on this Earth. About how his teacher, Don Juan, once spoke about studying the shape between objects and sounds.  It is a fluid and dynamic body; it enables perceptions to move in the space between too.  A space that expands and contracts like breath and becoming.  Here surrender might serve me as a way to alter those exacting definitions for what it means to be alive, toward a nimbler emergence of a new consilience between nature and its opposite.  Which begs the question, what is the opposite of Nature?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Covid19 Journey Day 27

April 17, 2020 Today’s celebration – Last May I attended the annual school fundraising gala.   Browsing the items on the silent auction tables, I found nothing that that stirred my avarice, so I took another tack and decided to find things that I could have fun with or devise pleasure from, as a way to justify some necessary opening bids.   There was an impressive box of chocolate bars with a couple bottles of red on which I entered the first bid, and I paused at a wooden crate with another pair of wines, nice glasses and a gift certificate for a charcuterie tray.   The vintner of the Pinot Noir and Chardonnay was Kosta Browne. Without a thought of the initial bid being the winning bid, I scratched my offer on line #1 - $150. I did covet a set of hand thrown mugs from our headmaster’s wheel, but found my bid lost in the healthy bid escalations.   By the end of the evening though, I was the winner of the box of wine and chocolate and the two bottles of Kosta Browne.   Once at home

Temerity

Helen holds hands with thunderheads. It helps when she's weak in the knees, lightning running down abductors, running down bones. Even temple guards succumb to such days, soft as pillows - scarlet velveteen on silk sheets.  Pink cyclamen bells the air, and Helen cut her traces. Bridget dreams the summer wind.  Its susurrate moan rises in waves, swells with tides of sandalwood to chariot the night.  She spins rhapsody around its howl,  dawns a golden jet stream  on spangled festoons of cirrus. Weak knees fly off with yellow wind,  before Bridget stills the night.   Sicily wets her lips with limoncello, quells the rabble of heartache, the clatter of waiting.  She rings goblets like temple bells, makes a sound map for lost days. Her boat of pink sand brims in blood oranges and cyclamen. Lightning festoons the rabble, Sicily finds Helen’s hand.

Covid Journal Entry 14

April 4, 2020 Today’s image – Exploring social cohorts. So, on campus now there is a small village of us living together, the remnants of those in residence this year.   We are an international population: seven from the US, six from Vietnam, five from China,   four from Morocco, one from the DR and two dogs/three cats.   We share four large buildings where we live, take our meals, study and exercise, on a five-acre campus. The rest of the two hundred and sixty or seventy odd community members are sheltering in their homes; some of the teachers and administrators dropping by during the week to work in their offices.   We have had little or no contact with them so far.   Our chef and his crew of two come in by rotation to prepare and serve the daily meals, a maintenance duo tend to the essential tasks and repairs, the city services haul away trash and recycling, the postal service, UPS and FedEx still deliver mail and packages.   It’s Iowa and the governor has been holding out on