Skip to main content

Corvid19 Journey Day 22


April 12, 2020

Today’s observation- it came up midmorning, for no apparent reason, a deep feeling of sadness and loss.  Even taking a long bike ride in the mild bright weather, on a Sunday morning when others were walking too – children ebullient at the prospect of a pending egg hunt and trees at the start of their flowering, furry leaflets fetal in their form.  None of this lifted my heavy heart or buoyed my spirit.  I stopped to put in ear buds, pressed play for the book I’ve begun – The Overstory, by Richard Powers.  His surprising narratives and delectable language distract me, but my legs cannot pedal out the tightness in my belly. Maybe I am passing through a spell of palpable empathy – even as I keep my head up and spine straight, wanting to stay upbeat for the kids I live with.  We all here miss the nurturing company of family.  I need the medicine of sitting around a table with those who know me best - laughing, eating, playing cards, drinking wine.  And never knowing when or if will come my time in the barrel with the virus, makes the medicine all the more precious. And even if I do believe I am riding out the storm in an Iowa Shangri-La, I feel low down today.  And if I were really in trouble with the beast, good god, I’d be suicidal, given my current state of mind in a time of even keel living.  I’ve got to get a grip! Ok, this sort of self-talk is not useful or kind (the advice I’d give if I were listening to someone else) and no doubt, it only piles shit on the depression pile of emotion I am feeling today. In a mood that makes me thin skinned, reacting in ridiculous ways to other people’s banter.  Here is an admission of inflated conflation: We have a family message group thready with pictures, news, stories and foolish blather.  After sending out my morning dispatch, an NPR piece about how we don’t really need to wash our groceries before we put them away anymore, no one respond with words or emoji.  I thought at first, no biggie - until someone else in the group shared something more banal and got a windfall of responses.  It hit me like a dragon unicorn with diarrhea, it became a slippery slope. The fourteen-year-old in my head decided I must have done something unsavory or inconsiderate – was it something I said? Maybe it was last week or when they were five, and I was being a terrible mother.  No wonder they won’t let the grandkids come stay with me now.  I was making enormous leaps of illogic, a clear sign to any rational adult, that this was nothing more than a rabbit hole, and still I leaped in, telling myself that I was surely on the verge of being disowned and shunned, and if so, wasn’t better for me to spare them the discomfort of saying so and just let them off the hook by…disappearing.  They never come to see me any way.  Here a pathetic pathos was swallowing whole as the melodrama in was head grew in its ridiculousness.  I grabbed my Westie and set of for a walk to break out of the spell.  The truth is, we are all struggling emotionally now – the wolf has camped out on our front porch. Have you listened to the news lately?  There is one dramatic story that asserts it has uncovered the nefarious origins of the novel corona virus; how it is really a synthetic recombinant that escaped its labs because of sloppy protocols.  If that were true, we are dancing with calamity and only at the beginning of a long siege.  It is a prospect that brought me to think about a plot in a dystopic novel I read several years ago – A World Made by Hand by James Kunstler.  A story of a small community in upstate New York that is digging out and trying to reconfigure viable living after the collapse of American society due to a series of unfortunate events, one of which is a deadly pandemic. The infrastructure has been crippled and the federal and state governments disabled. Yep, this could get really bad. Even Andrew Cuomo said in a briefing session yesterday, “we are only coming to the end of the beginning.” (He borrowed the phase from Churchill, seemed once again apt for the times).  I think what we need the most now, besides PPE and respirators, is fortitude.  A double dose or two. And I think I need to give myself a kind talking to on those days I get a little blue.

Today’s image – I appreciate my neighbor who manages her anxiety by gardening and pushing seeds in soil for vegetable starts.  I drink coffee, while watching her transplant tomato cotyledons from egg carton cells to red Dixie cups.  We chat about how we’re coping and what next week might be like.  I describe a house wren to her, one of my favorite avians, sadly absent from this Midwest prairie.  We share our wonder at the symphonies of cardinal song that carries the day.  And how important making safe community is, humans being such social species at our core.  Perhaps when I am feeling blue, it because I am deficient in Vitamin F for family and close friends.  Nothing satisfies like sharing space without even talking or sharing small talk with just Uh huh, a call and response. Isolation can put a kink in building those kinds of kindred spirit friendships.  Someone would say, from fallow ground like this such things grow. I make a small resolve to avoid the heavy stuff tomorrow and I snuggle more with my pup.

Today’s idea – So what if the novel corona virus was synthesized in a lab in Wuhan and shared like a high school science project around the world, only to escape because of slipshod practices.  So what if its uber infectious engineering gave it the volatility of a grassfire in August outside of Sacramento. The bigger fire danger is political if we want to focus on casting blame right now, and we don’t need to fan those flames.  Regardless of what breath of spittle brought it, it is here now and has our attention, our neat sense of social order and economic security by the Adam’s apple. Maybe the more important questions to ask are - how will we live through this, and when we do, what will we have learned about ourselves?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Covid19 Journey Day 27

April 17, 2020 Today’s celebration – Last May I attended the annual school fundraising gala.   Browsing the items on the silent auction tables, I found nothing that that stirred my avarice, so I took another tack and decided to find things that I could have fun with or devise pleasure from, as a way to justify some necessary opening bids.   There was an impressive box of chocolate bars with a couple bottles of red on which I entered the first bid, and I paused at a wooden crate with another pair of wines, nice glasses and a gift certificate for a charcuterie tray.   The vintner of the Pinot Noir and Chardonnay was Kosta Browne. Without a thought of the initial bid being the winning bid, I scratched my offer on line #1 - $150. I did covet a set of hand thrown mugs from our headmaster’s wheel, but found my bid lost in the healthy bid escalations.   By the end of the evening though, I was the winner of the box of wine and chocolate and the two bottles of Kosta Browne.   Once at home

Temerity

Helen holds hands with thunderheads. It helps when she's weak in the knees, lightning running down abductors, running down bones. Even temple guards succumb to such days, soft as pillows - scarlet velveteen on silk sheets.  Pink cyclamen bells the air, and Helen cut her traces. Bridget dreams the summer wind.  Its susurrate moan rises in waves, swells with tides of sandalwood to chariot the night.  She spins rhapsody around its howl,  dawns a golden jet stream  on spangled festoons of cirrus. Weak knees fly off with yellow wind,  before Bridget stills the night.   Sicily wets her lips with limoncello, quells the rabble of heartache, the clatter of waiting.  She rings goblets like temple bells, makes a sound map for lost days. Her boat of pink sand brims in blood oranges and cyclamen. Lightning festoons the rabble, Sicily finds Helen’s hand.

Covid Journal Entry 14

April 4, 2020 Today’s image – Exploring social cohorts. So, on campus now there is a small village of us living together, the remnants of those in residence this year.   We are an international population: seven from the US, six from Vietnam, five from China,   four from Morocco, one from the DR and two dogs/three cats.   We share four large buildings where we live, take our meals, study and exercise, on a five-acre campus. The rest of the two hundred and sixty or seventy odd community members are sheltering in their homes; some of the teachers and administrators dropping by during the week to work in their offices.   We have had little or no contact with them so far.   Our chef and his crew of two come in by rotation to prepare and serve the daily meals, a maintenance duo tend to the essential tasks and repairs, the city services haul away trash and recycling, the postal service, UPS and FedEx still deliver mail and packages.   It’s Iowa and the governor has been holding out on