Skip to main content

Covid19 Journey Day 32


April 22, 2020

Today’s observation – Never could we have organized such a significant 50th for Earth Day as we have stumbled into today! The skies around major cities are clearer and cleaner than they have been in decades. People have slowed down consumption and are traveling less (especially by plane). Wildlife has been able to recharge populations and vitality, returning to pathways and life cycles without our disturbance.  On-campus, students, built two large garden boxes and pushed vegetable seeds into dirt-filled egg carton cells. (learning how Americans grow food at home) Our hands in the dirt, our project was like a spring tonic. I asked them how they celebrated Earth Day in their countries. One from Morocco shrugged, “we don’t.”  Another from Vietnam coyly shared that they turned off lights when no one was in a room.  I suppose practicing conservation is a beginning prayer, inviting in more and more reasons to appreciate our spaceship planet. I remain amazed at the ever-unfolding bounty of blessings that we are just beginning to scratch the surface about really understanding.  Muir once wrote, “When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched up to everything else in the universe.” Science walks up to that mirror endlessly. The quality of life might have improved by living smaller. Still, In this quarantine isolation period, we have begun to suffer from a deficiency of community we relinquished for the common good. Muir’s idea resonates as we come to realize how much the interruptions of our favorite connections feel like a loss or even amputation; the ghost limbs ache. And salamanders have demonstrated, limbs grow back.  What remains are the touchstone memories bringing us back to what matters, we are building them now.  Rebecca Solnit had an essay in the NY Times this week, “Every disaster shakes loose the old order…many disasters unfold like a revolution.”  Let a post Covid revolution be colored with the memories of clean skies and a slower pace of life, of sea turtles having a robust nesting season, of how birdsong sang louder in cities as the roar of traffic dissipated.  Let us smile in a recall of how many kids were able to have Tom Sawyer/Huck Finn/Becky Thatcher moments, playing outside on a school day just before noon. Let us hold onto images of empty shelves where flour was displayed and yeast because people began baking bread.  Let us reminisce on  our ingenuity for sheltering in place at the state park. This 50th anniversary was the Earth Day when coincidence and happenstance helped us get closer to being Earthlings, to feeling more connected, in countless subtle and not so subtle ways, with everything else on the planet. I pray that when the bustle and noise return, as the air fills again into the aerial ocean of gray and brown, that we will feel the absence of nature, and that the feeling will turn into a tug.

Today’s image – My patron saint for Earth Day 2020 –hooded merganser. I have long admired these ducks from a distance with the help of binoculars. I took a seat by the river, as much to feel the air on my skin as to watch the stout currents rush downstream. In an eddy before me, this male merganser glided in, skidding to a stop on the water. The crow-sized, thin beaked diver gave the impression that he’d dropped in to chat with a pair of Canada geese in the same eddy. I was only a few meters away, and soon he appeared as curious about my pup and me as I was of him.  Mergansers excel at travel in water and air; his anatomy is not suited for walking or waddling on land.  He launches into flight by running across the water’s surface. Oh, I am adept at land walking and moving in water, but no real talent for flying unless I board a noisy gas hawk. Imagining what message he could pass along to me, I also consider mine to him. His obvious advice is to keep swimming, keep diving, with high praise for a fluid life.   I would tell him that we all spacewalkers, and the land is just more substantial water.  There are reports of a man walking on water; he counters that it happens everywhere!  Water striders, lizards, mergansers, snakes.  I can walk on water in January and February.  If this duck were an omen, what would that mean? A visit from a wild duck tells me it’s time to connect with family.  John Muir put him up to that.

Today’s idea - We attract, are attractive, and even magnetic.  I sit here in a moment that is an expression of my line of choices, woven into my family’s choices, which is weft to my country’s choices, all fluid and rooted in the universal becoming. In one hand, I hold serendipity and sacrifice, in the other, genius and folly. I think I attract what I need, even if I don't know I need it. Happy Earth Day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Covid19 Journey Day 27

April 17, 2020 Today’s celebration – Last May I attended the annual school fundraising gala.   Browsing the items on the silent auction tables, I found nothing that that stirred my avarice, so I took another tack and decided to find things that I could have fun with or devise pleasure from, as a way to justify some necessary opening bids.   There was an impressive box of chocolate bars with a couple bottles of red on which I entered the first bid, and I paused at a wooden crate with another pair of wines, nice glasses and a gift certificate for a charcuterie tray.   The vintner of the Pinot Noir and Chardonnay was Kosta Browne. Without a thought of the initial bid being the winning bid, I scratched my offer on line #1 - $150. I did covet a set of hand thrown mugs from our headmaster’s wheel, but found my bid lost in the healthy bid escalations.   By the end of the evening though, I was the winner of the box of wine and chocolate and the two bottles of Kosta Browne.   Once at home

Temerity

Helen holds hands with thunderheads. It helps when she's weak in the knees, lightning running down abductors, running down bones. Even temple guards succumb to such days, soft as pillows - scarlet velveteen on silk sheets.  Pink cyclamen bells the air, and Helen cut her traces. Bridget dreams the summer wind.  Its susurrate moan rises in waves, swells with tides of sandalwood to chariot the night.  She spins rhapsody around its howl,  dawns a golden jet stream  on spangled festoons of cirrus. Weak knees fly off with yellow wind,  before Bridget stills the night.   Sicily wets her lips with limoncello, quells the rabble of heartache, the clatter of waiting.  She rings goblets like temple bells, makes a sound map for lost days. Her boat of pink sand brims in blood oranges and cyclamen. Lightning festoons the rabble, Sicily finds Helen’s hand.

Covid Journal Entry 14

April 4, 2020 Today’s image – Exploring social cohorts. So, on campus now there is a small village of us living together, the remnants of those in residence this year.   We are an international population: seven from the US, six from Vietnam, five from China,   four from Morocco, one from the DR and two dogs/three cats.   We share four large buildings where we live, take our meals, study and exercise, on a five-acre campus. The rest of the two hundred and sixty or seventy odd community members are sheltering in their homes; some of the teachers and administrators dropping by during the week to work in their offices.   We have had little or no contact with them so far.   Our chef and his crew of two come in by rotation to prepare and serve the daily meals, a maintenance duo tend to the essential tasks and repairs, the city services haul away trash and recycling, the postal service, UPS and FedEx still deliver mail and packages.   It’s Iowa and the governor has been holding out on