Skip to main content

Covid19 Journey Day 39


April 29, 2020

Today’s many blessings – All day, so many gifts, making it an extravagant birthday! Sometimes I draw a card from Helena Nelson-Reed’s deck of sumptuously illustrated earth oracle cards.  Each one, a meditation.  The first gift came with the card I drew – Time. It reminded me that life doesn’t have to be measured by ticks and tocks.  This sort of timekeeping is a construct that humans devised to capture its passage or its coming when we are in social groups. Milestones and losing or winning any race have little relevance in the natural world (unless you are the one being chased for a meal).  I like to think of myself as a part of that order of things. An essential takeaway for me was to stay present and be existentially timeless.
Boxes have been arriving for a few days from my family and friends, and I disciplined myself to hold off on opening them until today.  The stuff is not the thrill, but it is a love token, and that is what is priceless for me now, living as I do.  Purple was a theme color too!  I am sitting solidly in my regal cronedom.  In one box was a purple rayon scarf, in another purple two skeins of Australian purple wool, another box yielded a pound of coffee beans from a local roaster and a T-shirt with a Don’t Call Me Princess caption emanating from Jedi Leia. And there was the box that held a handmade set of Celtic Runes. So many gifts!  So much love!  The rain and chill outside calmed the mood to serene, no dreary outside today. I interacted with students via the computer realm and took my pup out for a couple of walks.  I’d made a grocery run before lunch and picked up what I needed to make Pad Thai tonight.  (I realized this is sounding like ho-hum reporting of daily drivel, these details are rather dull. Patience, please, it is how the story (toward an amazing end) played out so bear with me. The drab and ordinary routine of things blossoms quite unexpectedly sometimes.)  While in the wine shop, I perused the pinots, having grown more enlightened about how remarkable they can be.  On a top shelf, sitting by itself was an unusual looking bottle, the whole top half covered in dark wax, and the label was very gallows humored.  Being drastically marked down, made me even more tempted to buy it. And as I reached for my phone to google the label, I found that I’d left it at home, a problem because, in its case, I keep my license and my bank card.  Thus with only the cash in my wallet to pay for my groceries, I walked away, making a mental note to do my research at home. That came later, too, for a surprise party greeted me back at school. The students all hid in the darkened art room and popped out as I walked in!  So many gifts, so much love.  I left that cupcake soiree with more treasure - a solar hummingbird wind chime and a sturdy bottle of Nordic honey mead – Viking Blod.
I tuned in to the afternoon news. The governor reported four hundred and sixty-seven new cases today, and she forges ahead with her plan for the gradual reopening of the state, which was never really locked down.  Then the phone began to ring, and  I talked on it more in one day than I usually do in a week, a mixed blessing for an introvert.  But reprise came with the canasta club making time for a game before study hall.  And afterward, I decided it was time to make Pad Thai.  One more call came in from my sister.  She is a teacher, too, at a Montessori school in Long Island, New York. When Cuomo made rumblings in March about locking down the city, she jumped on a plane and flew to Atlanta to shelter with her daughters and their families.  Like me, she does online classes for the remainder of the year and parent meetings as well.  This afternoon, she’d had a meeting with a mother from China, who shared what they are discovering about the kids’ greatness needs as the lockdown has lifted.  Their biggest crisis has come from being displaced from their friends for so long.  It is taking a significant toll on their equanimity.  This mother counseled them on the importance of practicing not only tolerance but greater empathy for their broken social lives.  Here, another gift for me. 
After dinner, I took a moment to research the mystery pinot from the wine shop, and I couldn’t remember the name!  So I called the shop and spoke with Marty, explaining that I was interested in a pinot noir on a top shelf of that section with a bottle half covered in dark wax. Could he find it and tell me what its name is?  He was amused and accommodating.  Within a couple of minutes, he was back on the phone.  “I found the bottle, yes, it is distinctive, and the wine is called Eternally Silenced. Would you like me to hold it for you? We are open until ten.”  I knew that I must have such a bottle of wine; it had to be amazing! And it is my birthday. “Let me research it.  You might see me tonight. Thanks!” 
So, I did look it up and found that the California winery was called The Prisoner Wine Company.  It is a winery and art collaborative maker space that is primarily run by women. The key winemakers are an ecologist agrarian and a viticulture enologist. Yes, I had to go out for that bottle!  So at 9:10 pm, I grabbed my Westie and headed back to the store.  Marty had the bottle waiting for me beside the register, and $42.00 later, it was mine.  Returning home, as I opened the car door, I let my pup out for a before-bed pee run and took my treasure inside.
Right away, he caught a scent and bolted off toward the wood lot.  But within a couple of minutes, he was back at the door barking frantically.  I opened it, let him in, took his leash and harness off and hung them up, while he dashed about the place, jumping at the door and yipping. Giving a curious glance to the outside through the glass, I found myself gazing eye to eye with a red fox.  Here was the crowning homage to my sixty-eighth celebration!  The encounter was only a moment long before the fox dashed off to the shadows.  Maybe my dog was a missed snack, and perhaps the fox had a message for me merely with her presence - to stay alert and agile.  There is still an ocean of obstacles before me, before us all as we navigate this new circumstance of our lives.  All I can think about as I head to bed tonight: gratitude for all the ways I am graced with guidance and encouragement as I plod along through my life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Covid19 Journey Day 27

April 17, 2020 Today’s celebration – Last May I attended the annual school fundraising gala.   Browsing the items on the silent auction tables, I found nothing that that stirred my avarice, so I took another tack and decided to find things that I could have fun with or devise pleasure from, as a way to justify some necessary opening bids.   There was an impressive box of chocolate bars with a couple bottles of red on which I entered the first bid, and I paused at a wooden crate with another pair of wines, nice glasses and a gift certificate for a charcuterie tray.   The vintner of the Pinot Noir and Chardonnay was Kosta Browne. Without a thought of the initial bid being the winning bid, I scratched my offer on line #1 - $150. I did covet a set of hand thrown mugs from our headmaster’s wheel, but found my bid lost in the healthy bid escalations.   By the end of the evening though, I was the winner of the box of wine and chocolate and the two bottles of Kosta Browne.   Once at home

Temerity

Helen holds hands with thunderheads. It helps when she's weak in the knees, lightning running down abductors, running down bones. Even temple guards succumb to such days, soft as pillows - scarlet velveteen on silk sheets.  Pink cyclamen bells the air, and Helen cut her traces. Bridget dreams the summer wind.  Its susurrate moan rises in waves, swells with tides of sandalwood to chariot the night.  She spins rhapsody around its howl,  dawns a golden jet stream  on spangled festoons of cirrus. Weak knees fly off with yellow wind,  before Bridget stills the night.   Sicily wets her lips with limoncello, quells the rabble of heartache, the clatter of waiting.  She rings goblets like temple bells, makes a sound map for lost days. Her boat of pink sand brims in blood oranges and cyclamen. Lightning festoons the rabble, Sicily finds Helen’s hand.

Covid Journal Entry 14

April 4, 2020 Today’s image – Exploring social cohorts. So, on campus now there is a small village of us living together, the remnants of those in residence this year.   We are an international population: seven from the US, six from Vietnam, five from China,   four from Morocco, one from the DR and two dogs/three cats.   We share four large buildings where we live, take our meals, study and exercise, on a five-acre campus. The rest of the two hundred and sixty or seventy odd community members are sheltering in their homes; some of the teachers and administrators dropping by during the week to work in their offices.   We have had little or no contact with them so far.   Our chef and his crew of two come in by rotation to prepare and serve the daily meals, a maintenance duo tend to the essential tasks and repairs, the city services haul away trash and recycling, the postal service, UPS and FedEx still deliver mail and packages.   It’s Iowa and the governor has been holding out on