Skip to main content

Covid19 Journal Entry 12


April 2, 2020
Today’s idea – I read a John Steinbeck quote in today’s Brain Pickings dispatch that reminds me of healthy grasslands.  “All the goodness and heroism will rise up again, then be cut down and rise up.” He wrote that during WWII. It seems to me that whatever we assign to be evil and those things we hold up as good have always cycled round and round one another through time and space and attitudes and cultural appropriateness or inappropriateness. They feed each other, they abide together, they fight and make up. My Lakota friends shared their news with me, “Keep praying in ceremony.  We have been told to keep praying and when the grass turns green again, this sickness will be over.”  Here is more evidence of the vital need to tend to the prairies and meadows of our heart space.  Awake, asleep, awake, asleep, in safety, in peril, in safety, in peril, here and gone, here and gone, here! Sometimes, don’t your days feel like a light switch under a toddler’s thumb? Life can feel like a flicker.

Today’s observation – It grew balmy today, the kind of day when we can be fooled into thinking the world is normalizing.  Maybe incrementally it is. And I have been grateful to live with a small clutch of people on a five-acre campus in a small rural city.  I took my quarantined self out for a walk with my pooch, he ran me to the Mississippi river following his nose along a zigzag scent trail. We were mostly alone on the walkways, if you don’t another count the litter and the geese, a cyclist whizzing past here and there.  I imagined the wild creature within me crooned to the ghost moon and welcomed the wind. How it cut through trees clearing out dead limbs and rattling empty seed pods on the tall brittle stalks of last autumn’s perennials. A drum roll for the world renewing itself regardless of what we want that to mean.  We are swept up in it too, one way or another.  Walking back up a side street to campus, a little boy was combing his toes through fresh blades of grass in his postage stamp size front yard, his mother watching him from the stoop.  He glanced at me and my dog, sized us up and asked, “Are you bringing me my schoolwork soon?” I’m wearing sweats and a t-shirt with sneakers, dressed incognito, I think.  Apparently, my professor-ness or teacher attitude shines brighter, and I respond, “I’m not that person today sweetie.”  We exchange smiles, and he waves me on.  There is no hiding some things.

Today’s image – Soon we will all be wearing cloth masks, the word on the street is that’s about to be a thing.  That means in America, there will bloom a new fashion trend, requiring growing wardrobes of face masks.  We’ll collect them like t-shirts and handbags.  Bands will sell them for souvenirs beside their CD’s, and school’s will add them to their fan gear. We can take a cue from Beijing or Phnom Penh, make them haute couter fashion items. I’d better get busy sewing!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Covid19 Journey Day 27

April 17, 2020 Today’s celebration – Last May I attended the annual school fundraising gala.   Browsing the items on the silent auction tables, I found nothing that that stirred my avarice, so I took another tack and decided to find things that I could have fun with or devise pleasure from, as a way to justify some necessary opening bids.   There was an impressive box of chocolate bars with a couple bottles of red on which I entered the first bid, and I paused at a wooden crate with another pair of wines, nice glasses and a gift certificate for a charcuterie tray.   The vintner of the Pinot Noir and Chardonnay was Kosta Browne. Without a thought of the initial bid being the winning bid, I scratched my offer on line #1 - $150. I did covet a set of hand thrown mugs from our headmaster’s wheel, but found my bid lost in the healthy bid escalations.   By the end of the evening though, I was the winner of the box of wine and chocolate and the two bottles of Kosta Browne.   Once at home

Temerity

Helen holds hands with thunderheads. It helps when she's weak in the knees, lightning running down abductors, running down bones. Even temple guards succumb to such days, soft as pillows - scarlet velveteen on silk sheets.  Pink cyclamen bells the air, and Helen cut her traces. Bridget dreams the summer wind.  Its susurrate moan rises in waves, swells with tides of sandalwood to chariot the night.  She spins rhapsody around its howl,  dawns a golden jet stream  on spangled festoons of cirrus. Weak knees fly off with yellow wind,  before Bridget stills the night.   Sicily wets her lips with limoncello, quells the rabble of heartache, the clatter of waiting.  She rings goblets like temple bells, makes a sound map for lost days. Her boat of pink sand brims in blood oranges and cyclamen. Lightning festoons the rabble, Sicily finds Helen’s hand.

Covid Journal Entry 14

April 4, 2020 Today’s image – Exploring social cohorts. So, on campus now there is a small village of us living together, the remnants of those in residence this year.   We are an international population: seven from the US, six from Vietnam, five from China,   four from Morocco, one from the DR and two dogs/three cats.   We share four large buildings where we live, take our meals, study and exercise, on a five-acre campus. The rest of the two hundred and sixty or seventy odd community members are sheltering in their homes; some of the teachers and administrators dropping by during the week to work in their offices.   We have had little or no contact with them so far.   Our chef and his crew of two come in by rotation to prepare and serve the daily meals, a maintenance duo tend to the essential tasks and repairs, the city services haul away trash and recycling, the postal service, UPS and FedEx still deliver mail and packages.   It’s Iowa and the governor has been holding out on