Skip to main content

Covid19 Journey Day 21


April 11, 2020

Today’s idea- The Great Pause – a term used in a circulating essay titled “Prepare for the Ultimate Gaslighting” It’s an apt phase for what we’ve been living this past month or so, with no clear endpoint in sight. And as the author, Julio Gambuto, points out, there will be a time when we must decide, design and devise how we reopen the economy/society.  How will getting back to normal look?  Is it something we just slide back into like riding a bike, balancing the checkbook? I look at the calendar, as I reflect on this question, and I notice we are getting closer to Mother’s Day, that 66-day mark.  Only four weeks away from making our adjustments and adaptations to life in the Great Pause into indelible habits and new lifeways.  I wonder how the Jews, who sequestered themselves in secret tiny rooms in the 1940’s until it felt safe to come out into the big world again, melded their invisibility skills with the celebratory raucousness of the post war culture.  This is not new.  Were my grandparents who survived the Spanish Flu Pandemic and the Great Depression as newly arrived Sicilian immigrants ever able to settle into the sanctified consumer culture that was promoted in the 1950’s?  A dog that knows what it is to be on the brink of starvation for half her life will always steal and scavenge food, no matter how regular her meals come now.  How will we be shaped by this season of sequester and reflection? Especially we who have been indulged by our families with every comfort and security they could muster, and by a government that prides itself on personal liberty, and an  ethnic and socio economic lineage that has assumed privilege,  we grow so easily indignant at the mere notion that governments and economies change sometimes turn toward totalitarianism or decline.  We just don’t want to believe it could happen to us.  More crazy conspiracy thinking. So, what if our leadership and the corporate behemoths launch campaigns to rally and convince the American populace that the good old days are the best way forward from the Great Pause, will we be compliant?  I like to think that they’d need  to start adding amnesiacs to our drinking water and fog memories about what got better when we slowed things down?  Gambuto writes, “Get ready, my friends. What is about to be unleashed on American society will be the greatest campaign ever created to get you to feel normal again.  It will come from brands, it will come from government, it will even come from each other, and it will come from the left and the right…an all out blitz to make you believe you never saw what you saw.  The air wasn’t really cleaner, those images were fake.  The hospitals weren’t really a war zone; those stories were hyperbole.”  Will this massive gaslighting crusade that our modern Paul Revere shouts to the roof tops about with his essay racing across the social media countryside, be here by May? Before Mother’s Day?  I’ll keep my eyes open but more importantly, I need to find ways to talks with others about how a new normal might be rolled out too.

Today’s image – There is a lot to think about in regard to our national elections in November. With a pernicious viral infection still unabated and no vaccination available, we are faced with deciding how to vote without pushing into motion another health crisis.  What is the most reliable and secure replacement for polling stations with digital ballet boxes where we check in with our polling attendants face to face?  Well, that depends on which party one supports, I think.  If online voting is fraught with the perils of hackers and unfriendly government bots, mail in ballots have certainly proven themselves to be viable, and they are a system that is already in place in many precincts.  So, what the problem?  Republicans know that when more people vote, Democrats win.  Thus, their advantage comes with creating as many hurdles for voting as they can devise. Given this assumption, I imagine that if the Democratic Party simply focused on voter registration and fully facilitated “get out to vote and mail in your ballots” drives, we could witness true democratic process without a lot of campaign blather.  The candidates are well known by now, the people have decided what they need and want.  It’s a golden moment for democracy that no amount of campaign dollars should be able to sway one direction or another.  I think it is a case of “pushing a river” and the will of the people flows strong this year. 

Today’s observation – I got a call from an insurance adjuster who wanted to set up a time to look at the damage on my car.  It’s true, the golf ball size hailstones, from last week’s storm, left dozens of dimples in my car’s roof and hood.  I did start to do an online claim with USAA insurance, but I did not hit the submit button because I thought, “Maybe I want to get an estimate first and besides there’s a pandemic going on.” Never mind, apparently in cyber land, the mere suggestion of starting the process committed me to taking a number and falling into line. On my hike the other day, a car rental company called, I thought out of the blue, to make arrangement for me to pick up a car while mine was in the shop.  I told them I’d get back with them, shaking my head as I hung up the phone. Apparently, the wheels of restoration already had me in their cogs.  It would seem that hammering out dents from hail damage is essential business.  The adjuster told me he was up from Texas, contracted to be part of an insurance catastrophic event team.  An army of adjusters deployed to the area, working long hours and doing their part for the economy.  Why fight the current?  I thought, as I made an appointment for first thing Monday morning.  Once again, calamity makes hay out of hailstorms for a beleaguered economy.  I’ll do my part since we’re at war.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Covid19 Journey Day 27

April 17, 2020 Today’s celebration – Last May I attended the annual school fundraising gala.   Browsing the items on the silent auction tables, I found nothing that that stirred my avarice, so I took another tack and decided to find things that I could have fun with or devise pleasure from, as a way to justify some necessary opening bids.   There was an impressive box of chocolate bars with a couple bottles of red on which I entered the first bid, and I paused at a wooden crate with another pair of wines, nice glasses and a gift certificate for a charcuterie tray.   The vintner of the Pinot Noir and Chardonnay was Kosta Browne. Without a thought of the initial bid being the winning bid, I scratched my offer on line #1 - $150. I did covet a set of hand thrown mugs from our headmaster’s wheel, but found my bid lost in the healthy bid escalations.   By the end of the evening though, I was the winner of the box of wine and chocolate and the two bottles of Kosta Browne.   Once at home

Temerity

Helen holds hands with thunderheads. It helps when she's weak in the knees, lightning running down abductors, running down bones. Even temple guards succumb to such days, soft as pillows - scarlet velveteen on silk sheets.  Pink cyclamen bells the air, and Helen cut her traces. Bridget dreams the summer wind.  Its susurrate moan rises in waves, swells with tides of sandalwood to chariot the night.  She spins rhapsody around its howl,  dawns a golden jet stream  on spangled festoons of cirrus. Weak knees fly off with yellow wind,  before Bridget stills the night.   Sicily wets her lips with limoncello, quells the rabble of heartache, the clatter of waiting.  She rings goblets like temple bells, makes a sound map for lost days. Her boat of pink sand brims in blood oranges and cyclamen. Lightning festoons the rabble, Sicily finds Helen’s hand.

Covid Journal Entry 14

April 4, 2020 Today’s image – Exploring social cohorts. So, on campus now there is a small village of us living together, the remnants of those in residence this year.   We are an international population: seven from the US, six from Vietnam, five from China,   four from Morocco, one from the DR and two dogs/three cats.   We share four large buildings where we live, take our meals, study and exercise, on a five-acre campus. The rest of the two hundred and sixty or seventy odd community members are sheltering in their homes; some of the teachers and administrators dropping by during the week to work in their offices.   We have had little or no contact with them so far.   Our chef and his crew of two come in by rotation to prepare and serve the daily meals, a maintenance duo tend to the essential tasks and repairs, the city services haul away trash and recycling, the postal service, UPS and FedEx still deliver mail and packages.   It’s Iowa and the governor has been holding out on