Skip to main content

Covid19 Journey Day 25


April 15, 2020

Today’s observation – A confluence happened today. A morning read flowed into direct personal experience, one on the heels of the other.  As has become my habit every morning, I browse my news feed, a story from Politico caught my attention about the second coming of Coronavirus into bucolic America.  “One of the negatives of living in a rural community is you think it protects you somehow.” Dr. Howard Leibrand from Skagit County, Washington shared this sentiment in an interview that opened the article, and I found it spot on with thoughts that I’ve had myself, believing life in a small city in Iowa can feel removed from the danger all around us.  Maintaining a semblance of routine with exercise outside and basic shopping, I’ve been lulled into thinking of this place as a safe harbor.  Governor Reynolds has resisted ordering statewide shelter in place, suggesting even that she will tell people they can return to work and school at the end of the month.   I get it, it feels okay here in our micro universe. Let the urban dwellers and progressives fight the dragon for us all. On this five-acre haven of school grounds, we are safe and healthy – the sensible prevention protocols appear to be working.  So why did the Politico article get me to reconsider?  Can there really be island of immunity? Many think it is very likely that a Perfect Storm is not far away, given how daily interactions between those of all ages remain careless and given that the rural health care facilities are woefully unprepared and ill equipped for what Covid19 demands.   I had barely taken time to truly muddle this out when my personal experience joined the article’s conjecture: bam, bam.  Here’s how it went down.  I dropped off my car at the body shop and was checked in by the assistant manager who wore no mask and interacted with me with no apparent regard for social distancing in his small office.  He sat and I stood about three feet apart as he took my key and information. From there he walked me to an area to wait for my rental car to be brought round. When the young service agent arrived, she wore no mask either and stood only two or three feet away as we completed the contract info with her tablet.  After doing a walk about inspection for dings and scratches on the car, she turned to me and said, “Go ahead and get into the driver’s seat, turn on the car, and I’ll get the mileage and gas levels.  She climbs into the passenger seat beside me, our faces maybe an arm’s length apart. It’s true that I have developed a new habit of wearing a mask when I’m out in public, not as anything to prevent me from being infected (I don’t have that kind of gear)  but to help prevent the spread as I can on my end (which usually includes social distancing).   And I am not interested in shaming people to comply with the safe practice and common-sense preventative guidelines, but I would think that the businesses these service agents worked for would.  PEOPLE PLEASE!!!  Here is how the storm finds us! Here are signs left and right that we are inviting a predatory pathogen to come on in and kick some Iowan ass sooner than never.  Here the intersections of possible and seriously getting ready to happen are falling around us like steel beams. Then again and as they say, stupidity is a good natural selector and this virus is just doing its sacred work.  Wasn’t I going to practice more surrender anyway?  I seem to remember setting that intention a few days back.

Today’s idea – Keep it up Trump, you are doing great.  Exhibiting the perfect behavior, moronic judgement and tantrum frequency to alienate and infuriate enough Americans who normally sit on the fence and let others do the voting for us to elect a new president in November.  Like the sign says, Flush the turd, vote on the third!

Today’s image- Spring snow falling on young foliage; Virginia bluebells huddled heads down with their apical leaves wrapped around young lavender buds; a skiff of ice rainbowed by the morning sun; April in the upper Midwest.  I was stilled by the sight of snow in my first glance outside.  Truly quieted in my core; a relief sprung from a sense that even with the hammer of catastrophic consequences poised overhead, this unexpected scene has pulled me into a larger frame.  The white crystal blanket will melt into the green by midday as nourishment. Maybe this slowly emerging catastrophe will bring nourishment too, after it contracts with its work done - re-balancing life ways and populations, recalibrating an economy grown parasitic.  Maybe I’ll end up as a piece of the collateral damage, food for worms when this is over.  Maybe I’ll survive in witness. Just in case the second option happens, I’d better keep up my practice with this descriptive note taking and reflection making.  The ground of the civilized world appears to need some dethatching and deep spading, to be turned.  It could be a necessary cultivation if we really want to revitalize the human garden. It would seem the larger revolution has begun.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Covid19 Journey Day 27

April 17, 2020 Today’s celebration – Last May I attended the annual school fundraising gala.   Browsing the items on the silent auction tables, I found nothing that that stirred my avarice, so I took another tack and decided to find things that I could have fun with or devise pleasure from, as a way to justify some necessary opening bids.   There was an impressive box of chocolate bars with a couple bottles of red on which I entered the first bid, and I paused at a wooden crate with another pair of wines, nice glasses and a gift certificate for a charcuterie tray.   The vintner of the Pinot Noir and Chardonnay was Kosta Browne. Without a thought of the initial bid being the winning bid, I scratched my offer on line #1 - $150. I did covet a set of hand thrown mugs from our headmaster’s wheel, but found my bid lost in the healthy bid escalations.   By the end of the evening though, I was the winner of the box of wine and chocolate and the two bottles of Kosta Browne.   Once at home

Temerity

Helen holds hands with thunderheads. It helps when she's weak in the knees, lightning running down abductors, running down bones. Even temple guards succumb to such days, soft as pillows - scarlet velveteen on silk sheets.  Pink cyclamen bells the air, and Helen cut her traces. Bridget dreams the summer wind.  Its susurrate moan rises in waves, swells with tides of sandalwood to chariot the night.  She spins rhapsody around its howl,  dawns a golden jet stream  on spangled festoons of cirrus. Weak knees fly off with yellow wind,  before Bridget stills the night.   Sicily wets her lips with limoncello, quells the rabble of heartache, the clatter of waiting.  She rings goblets like temple bells, makes a sound map for lost days. Her boat of pink sand brims in blood oranges and cyclamen. Lightning festoons the rabble, Sicily finds Helen’s hand.

Covid Journal Entry 14

April 4, 2020 Today’s image – Exploring social cohorts. So, on campus now there is a small village of us living together, the remnants of those in residence this year.   We are an international population: seven from the US, six from Vietnam, five from China,   four from Morocco, one from the DR and two dogs/three cats.   We share four large buildings where we live, take our meals, study and exercise, on a five-acre campus. The rest of the two hundred and sixty or seventy odd community members are sheltering in their homes; some of the teachers and administrators dropping by during the week to work in their offices.   We have had little or no contact with them so far.   Our chef and his crew of two come in by rotation to prepare and serve the daily meals, a maintenance duo tend to the essential tasks and repairs, the city services haul away trash and recycling, the postal service, UPS and FedEx still deliver mail and packages.   It’s Iowa and the governor has been holding out on